PDA

View Full Version : Fan Noise Burly 2 Bay

bionaut
10-23-2008, 11:42 AM
Hello,

We've been running a 2 bay Burly box in the office for nearly two years. This morning, it started making a noticeable fan noise. It's coming from the fan in the back of the box. I've read about squirting a little silicon lubricant on the bearings. Can anyone give me a little more detail on that before I try it? Also, does anyone have any other comments on this kind of fan noise?

Thank you, Chris

ricks
10-23-2008, 01:09 PM
Fans make noise usually when they get dirt in them. First step is pull the cover off the Burly and use compressed air and blow out the bearing area as good as you can from the inside. Be careful not to spin up the fan too fast with the compressed air and burn a bearing.

Then, if that doesn't get it, you can squirt a teensy bit of silicon lube into the bearing... or replace the fan. The fan is a $10 part and is pretty easy to swap. Have to disassemble the power supply to connect it up, or else cut and reconnect the power wires. Happy to assist you in any way we can.

Rick

beyoyo
11-21-2008, 05:21 PM
I will attempt to clean the fan, but in the event that it is toast, can this fan be replace with any fan? What specs does the replacement need to meet?

ricks
11-21-2008, 06:48 PM
Replacement fan is available on the Burly Parts page (http://www.macgurus.com/productpages/sata/burlyparts.php). $10 for the original (MAPCASEFAN), a few more for a high end Vantec US made replacement (VAN8025).

Rick