PDA

View Full Version : SATA - 4 Bay question

alicia
10-16-2008, 09:46 AM
Hi There - I am new to the Removable hard drive enclusores.

I recently bought this one.

http://www.macgurus.com/productpages/firewire/BurlyMultiDriveFWHS.php

Burly 4 Bay Hot Swap Firewire Enclosure

I put the 4 Western Digital 1TB drives in the bays and I get all green lights! :D
Then I go into my Drive Utiity to zero them out.. and only 2 are showing up?

I have a couple questions.

1) Do I need to plug in MORE than 1 firewire to get them all to show up? (I had tried that, but still nothing) Shouldn't they all just show up?
2) what are all the ports on the back? I am assuming that the top level is for the top two drives, and the bottom ports are for the bottom two drives?
3) Are the top two drives just going to mirror my bottom two?
4) do i need to pull out the bottom two drives (those are the drives showing up) and plug in the top two to format and then put them all back?

when i hit the start button the orange light only light up on the bottom two drives (meaning they were working)

I have no idea how to get the top two to register?

Any help would be much appreciated . Anyone whose hooked one of these up and can help will be my hero. I am pretty techi, but these have me stumped. I am currently formatting 2 of the four drives in the bay.

ricks
10-16-2008, 10:42 AM
Hi Alicia,

Welcome to the forums. Good questions and a really simple answer.

Each 2 drive bays is connected to a separate Firewire bridgeboard. You must chain the top bridge to the bottom bridge, using the 12 inch Firewire800 cable, to get both bridges attached to your computer.

That is it. Add the 12 inch Firewire jumper from one bridge to the other and you will have all four drives.

Rick

alicia
10-16-2008, 10:51 AM
shut up-- it's that easy? I just had to plug one into the other and then the entire thing into the computer???

Wow- I feel STUPID :) but in my defense the directions didn't say that. :)

ricks
10-16-2008, 11:20 AM
My apologies.... we do make some assumptions. And the 'instructions' really don't exist other than online guides. It is my own shortcoming that led to you having to ask. I always assumed Mac users wouldn't read a manual anyway - I have to say sorry to those that do. :)

alicia
10-16-2008, 12:06 PM
I know-= reading directions... who does that?

I am formatting the other two drives, then I have to restart, if I don't get them working, I'll be back :)

Thanks for your help.