PDA

View Full Version : Xserve EFI Firmware Update 1.1

rayh34
10-14-2008, 01:38 AM
Ok, kinda new to the Mac OS and apple updates have been learning as I go here. But have a question that the guides do'nt seen to give a straight answer about. Current Config:

OS X Server 10.5.5
2.8 Quad-Core Intel Xeon
6GB 800Mhz DDR2
Model: XServe
2 X 1TB Hitachi SAS
Mirrored Raid Set
Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
GUID Partition Table

The system downloaded the software update for the XServe EFI Firmware Update 1.1. Read the documentation on it, and it states that you can't preform a EFI firmware update if you boot from a RAID set. that you must have a GUID Partiton table. I boot from a RAID set, but it is partitioned according to the GUID scheme. The server is business critical and is used 24/7. I normal do updates early morning to minimized the affected users. Does it mean that if you have either case (non-GUID partition or RAID set) that you can not preform the update?

Thanks in advance for any help.

ricks
10-14-2008, 08:00 AM
Unfortunately, I have never talked to anyone about the firmware update as it relates to booting from a RAID volume. As a rule, we never boot from a RAID, but we also don't run a multi-user environment off an XServe.

Might be that UncleMac shows up and tosses us all an answer. He has quite a few XServes in his shop. Not sure if he has any that are booting from a RAID, but might.

If nothing else, you can always copy your OS off to a Firewire drive and boot from it while running the update. Be a good idea to maintain a backup copy of your OS anyway. And a mirror does not count as a backup, as I am sure you already know.

Rick

unclemac
10-14-2008, 03:07 PM
Sorry, not alot of help here, cause all our Xserves are PPC, so no EFI updates. We do boot all our Xserves from software mirrors, using SoftRaid.

As for your specific question, looks pretty clear (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2013) that you are correct. I would agree, based on the recommendation, that you will need a minimal install of an OS on a firewire or USB drive, and the EFI update to move forward. Could be a clone of your current OS—great time to make a backup for disaster recovery—or it could be a stripped down clean install. Either will work fine as long as your volume is GUID. I can attest to that, as we had some early Intel Macs that were not GUID, and EFI updates puked on them 100% of the time. Had to erase, format, and reimage them to update EFI.

On the bright side, unless you have any outstanding issues or stability problems, there is no pressing need to move forward too quickly. Remember the golden rule of uptime: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

rayh34
10-14-2008, 11:55 PM
Thank you both for your help and suggestions. Will go the way of firewire back-up/boot. I have learned several unrelated things from just looking through the posts for help with this question.

unclemac
10-15-2008, 07:27 AM
Happy to assist.

I have had good luck cloning Server with the free version of SuperDuper and
CarbonCopyCloner. Just quit everything and be sure nobody is connected......I would also stop all services via Server Admin tool too. I usually wait til off hours, reboot, kill services, then clone it.

How do you like those SAS drives? Drool worthy I bet. :cool: