PDA

View Full Version : Burley Yellow LED

ralph016
10-03-2008, 08:21 AM
Can anybody tell me what the yellow LED on a Burley enclosure indicates?

I've just installed a new Seagate 1TB drive and it is the only one with the yellow LED lite. The drive seems to be working OK.

Damien
10-03-2008, 08:48 AM
That's just a power on light.

The green ones are drive activity lights if you choose to connect them and if your particular drive even has that connection

ricks
10-03-2008, 09:06 AM
Green is power for the enclosure. Yellow is activity.

Seagate changed the way their drive activity out pin reports. Used to be it was an on or off thing. The voltage went to zero when the drive was not actually communicating.

Now, the voltage drops instead of going to zero. The effect is that you get a dimmer amber LED when the drive is idling and it brightens when the drive is accessing.

The only time the light goes off is if the drive stops communicating at all. If you mix a new model Seagate with old model anything then its light will behave differently.

Rick

ralph016
10-03-2008, 10:20 AM
Rick,

Your comments seem to reflect what I see. Thanks.

Damien
10-03-2008, 12:58 PM
Oops got my colors backwards... You wouldn't think so but despite my complete failure in this post ;) I do have three Burlys around here

ricks
10-03-2008, 04:08 PM
Not your fault D. The SATAII hotswap bays have lights that operate different from every past model in that they take their activity data direct from the hard drive. Since Seagate changed the voltage out on the newer drives you would know that unless you had the current hotswap bays, which I don't think you do.

R

Damien
10-04-2008, 09:25 AM
Rick ? You passin' an opportunity to take a jab at me? Where's the real Rick and who are you? :p

No... no hot swap bays for me. All that new-fangled stuff confoozles and old geezer like me.

ricks
10-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Damien,

If I was you, I'd (you) be worried about what he (I) wants!

If you understand that you need help.

R