View Full Version : Back in the saddle again.

09-26-2008, 03:59 PM
At long last, I have it back together. I decided on the Seagate Barracuda 500Gb, and 2 gigs of PC3200 DDR.
That ran me $225 for all of it. I got a brand spankin' new copy of 10.5.4 and it's all installed.
It'll take me three more days to reload all of my software and I'm good to go. It's nice to have a 20" display again after three months with this 15" (PC-Ughh!) laptop.

09-26-2008, 09:37 PM
Yeah baby!

Congrats on the successful rebuild of your life.


09-26-2008, 11:43 PM
Nothing like some time on a Windows machine to re-affirm your affinity for a Mac.

Welcome back.

09-27-2008, 08:12 AM
Nothing like some time on a Windows machine to re-affirm your affinity for a Mac.

Welcome back.

Fortunately being fully bi-lingual, it wasn't that bad other than the tiny size of the laptop display. Also there's an S-Video out on the laptop so I can hook it to the 36" in my living room when I need more desktop. I'm just finding out the worst of it is that I had a lot of three-year-old shareware that has been updated twice or more and I was so far behind I can't just upgrade, so I'll have to re-purchase it. Worst of all, my "developer's" copy of CS3 won't install on Leopard, so now I have to wait till my old boss has his allotment of CS4 discs and I can get one in exchange for a few months of trying to break it and telling him how (spelled B-E-T-A). I know the Adobe beta is long done, but "interaction with other software" testing is only beginning, and I love post-production betas for the surprises they hold in store. Well, that and the free software as compensation.

10-01-2008, 01:20 PM
After replacing my HD and RAM and OS, I discovered my Super Drive was bad too.

Got a new one from OWC, (dual layer burner for $97), loaded Leopard on one partition (250Gb) Tiger on the other (250 Gb), and reloaded everything.
The CS3 went on the Tiger side and migrated successfully onto the Leopard side. I just bumped my Time Machine drive up to 200 of a 320 LaCie Firewire (formerly a 160), and it looks to be working correctly. I just have to reconnect the iomega 500 Gb music drive, and reload my iTunes library, and XML files before launching iTunes 8.:dance: