PDA

View Full Version : G5 Freezes Occasionally

hapycampr2002
09-25-2008, 01:25 PM
Hi.
Has anyone heard of a G5 (purchased in April of 2005) freezing at random times for no apparent reason? No noticeable pattern. Any word as to it being a common problem, or what it likely may be?
Thanks,
Hapy

rwm
09-25-2008, 04:40 PM
All computers can and do get random freezes. Some worse than others. Mine seems to freeze about every other month and it's used daily. Some are known to be worse than others. Unfortunately the fixes vary from one extreme to the other. The problem can be hardware or software like anything listed below.

A software glitch would be my guess but there can be bad RAM, an aging hard drive, corrupted or conflicting software or data files, lose cables or worn ends, mobo going and on and on these are tough to figure out.

Right after this happens check your console logs. Post them here if you want. You might see the same file or application beginning activity right before each freeze.

How long has this OS been in use? Might have OSX bunnies buried deep in the OS?

Post some detailed specs, RAM amount, which G5, applications usually in use, hard drive configuration any thing might help.

hapycampr2002
09-25-2008, 05:40 PM
There is a G5 for sale for $300 from a guy who has described what I posted originally. I'm trying to figure out whether I should gamble and buy it and then try to fix it. But it sounds like it could be SO MUCH that it could turn into a nightmare trying to figure out the problem. I've asked him the frequency of the occurrences.

rwm
09-25-2008, 07:54 PM
To me... This problem (unless software) often ends with bad RAM or hard drive/ware or unresolved as in dead. Were willing to help you get your hands dirty

The amount RAM, type, size of each stick
Number of RAM Slots
Which OS X Version - 10.?.?
Which G5 ??GHz This will help. Some did have problems.
Which applications usually in use - This can help on the software troubleshooting
Hard drive configuration - number of drives, drive setup setup, size and brand
Graphics card

Any or all of this info might help. They are all valid questions when buying a computer. If it needs more RAM and larger hard drive or software updated.... you'll spend a few more hundred bucks. Not so cheap anymore.

Damien
09-26-2008, 04:08 AM
G5's are a very ram finicky computer. If you have mismatched ram in the box it can cause this

hapycampr2002
10-31-2008, 06:15 AM
Thanks guys. This G5 is so cheap I may go ahead and buy it and then see what you guys think needs to be done to fix it. The previous posts make me hopefull that it could be fixed even by a computer neophyte like myself. If I buy it I'll let ya know.