PDA

View Full Version : Quark: missing profile

billybobski
09-24-2008, 04:05 AM
Well, I say Quark, but it might be OSX.

Running iMac Intel, 10.4.11. Quark 7.0

On launching Quark, I get 'Application uses profiles not installed in your system'.

List profiles brings: Missing profiles: neutral white; Replacement profile: *; Color space:RGB.

Whether I hit replace or ok, same result. Program carries on running without probs. When I quit, though, Bug Reporter pops up, and I have to quit Bug before I can quit QX and close.

I've tried ColorSync Utility which found problems on First Aid and repaired them, but afterwards no different, i.e. back to square one.

Anyone got any ideas? It's only annoying, rather than serious, I think.

Allen, London.

eric
09-24-2008, 05:43 AM
If this is on straight launch, then it could be that you're getting that error because you've got some Source color profiles defined, but that aren't installed.

Go to Edit->Color Setups->Source. In there you should see the source setups that you currently have defined. If the "neutral white" is there, then you can select that profile and delete it. That way Quark won't check for it on launch, and give you that error. Alternatively if the "neutral white" profile is one that you or team uses often, then you should get a copy and stick in the appropriate place. (This is one benefit of using "File->Collect for Output...->" because color profile files are included in the resulting file, along with linked objects, etc.)

I think the default source profile is set it Preference->Print Layout->Color Manager. Under "source options", you can set the default profile, but the list depends on what you have in Edit->Color Setups->Source. Even if you set the default to something other than "neutral white", Quark will still give you that error because that profile is sill listed in the Edit->Color Setups->Source. (I know this because I'm getting that error too because I still haven't stuck some profiles in that I've defined after I upgraded to Leopard. :-) One good thing from this, I'm going to go redo these profiles today.)

billybobski
09-24-2008, 06:21 AM
Thanks for those, Eric.

I also found the neutral white.icc and put it where QX says to, i.e. Library, colorsync, profiles, etc.

Anyway, now launches fine, i.e. without error messages, but on close-down it still throws up the Bug Reporter. I suppose I could go through the motions and send Quark a bug report, but I'd rather do it myself and save the pain. Any further ideas?

Thanks.

Allen.

eric
09-24-2008, 07:18 AM
Crash on quit, could be one of the old standards: correct preference file?!?

Just checked there's a folder in: /Users/username/Library/Preferences/Quark.

Lots of stuff in that "Quark" folder, any of which may cause some grief.

Try the following: quit Quark, rename that folder to say "Quark_bak", then launch & quit Quark.

See if that cures the problem, if some something in there may be causing your problems. If not, we have tossed your preferences for nothing. :D

Another question, which version are you running? The latest, I think earlier versions were more prone to crashing. There are other things worth investigating down the road, e.g. font caches, font incompatibility, etc. But try the Quark preferences first.

billybobski
09-24-2008, 07:38 AM
Hello Eric.

Give the man a big cigar.

Cured. The only small problem that caused was to update printer descriptions, so I've got to re-delete the hundreds not used, if I can be bothered...

But it launches fine, quits FAR faster than it ever did. So, thanks again.

(Oh, it's Passport version 7.0, but more than that I don't know).

Allen.

margretli
08-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Hello everyone,
I am experiencing a similar problem with Quark. My problem is that Quark crashes on start. I see the menus for a fraction of a second, and the "BugReport" comes up, and nothing else.

Mac Pro OS X 10.4.11
Quark 7.31 and 7.5 (tried both same result)

I've done all that's said in this thread. At the beginning, I was getting the missing profile bit, and I've found the profile and copied it to the profile directory of Quark. It now doesn't display any error message but will just go straight to BugReport after a flash of the menu.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Mag.

eric
08-29-2009, 02:50 AM
Hi try the following. Launch Console, it's in the Applicaitons/Utilities folder. Then try launching Quark. Sometimes the Console messages are cryptic, but sometimes they can be quite useful/informative for hunting down the problem.
Hello everyone,
I am experiencing a similar problem with Quark. My problem is that Quark crashes on start. I see the menus for a fraction of a second, and the "BugReport" comes up, and nothing else.

Mac Pro OS X 10.4.11
Quark 7.31 and 7.5 (tried both same result)

I've done all that's said in this thread. At the beginning, I was getting the missing profile bit, and I've found the profile and copied it to the profile directory of Quark. It now doesn't display any error message but will just go straight to BugReport after a flash of the menu.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Mag.