PDA

View Full Version : I have a complaint re: My new iMac

Damien
09-20-2008, 03:51 PM
Ok I have a new Ultimate iMac 3.06ghz 24" 4 gig ram 500gig drive.

So far everything has been outstanding with one exception....

The internal DVD burner has disappointed me at every opportunity. Matshita DVD-R UJ 875

Read speed - agonizingly slow (6x to 8x import speed in iTunes vs the 32x I get from my Plextor)
write speed - even slower than read speed (same data written with internal drive 48 minutes, but on the plextor... 12 minutes)
failed to write the first DL disc I tried (Verbatim blanks rated in top 5 media quality)

Feels like it was made for burning audio cd's only which is likely it's only use from this point forward

Won't be getting rid of my Plextor and my LG external drives anytime soon, they still work flawlessly

Anyway if you are considering a new iMac and need reliable DVD burning you might want to consider an external drive

unclemac
09-20-2008, 09:26 PM
I wonder if the issue has to do with the really thin slot loader drives? Cool as they are, seems like they are not as robust. Not that surprising I guess considering they are something like 25% of the mass of a full size drive.......something has to give, right?

OTOH, it might just be a bad drive too. My work MBP has been pretty good overall, and I think it has only ever made one DVD coaster, out of about a dozen burns.

Damien
09-21-2008, 08:10 AM
I don't think it's a bad drive.. it's just slow

Features:

DVD-RAM (4.7GB) Write 5X / Read 5X
DVD-R (4.7GB) Write 8X / Read 8X
DVD-R DL (8.5GB) Write 6X / Read 8X
DVD-RW (4.7GB) Write 6X / Read 8X
+R (4.7GB) Write 8X / Read 8X
+R DL (8.5GB) Write 6X / Read 8X
+RW (4.7GB) Write 8X / Read 8X
CD-R/RW Write 24X / Read 24X
DVD-ROM Read 8X
CD-ROM Read 24X
Dimensions (W x H x D): 128mm x 12.7mm x 129mm
*Media Supported:

DVD-R (Version 2.0 for Gerenal), 4X-Speed DVD-R, 8X-Speed DVD-R
DVD-RW (Version 1.0, 1.1, 1.2), 2X-Speed DVD-RW, 4X-Speed DVD-RW
DVD+R, 4X-Speed DVD+R, 8X-Speed DVD+R
DVD+RW,4X-Speed DVD+RW
DVD+R DL
CD-R, Multi-Speed CD-RW, High-Speed CD-RW, Ultra-Speed CD-RW
Please note this product does not guarantee writing at write speeds specified on media.

I am willing to overlook the one coaster and I guess I need to remember that this is a laptop drive and not the upgraded super duper SATA Plextor I have been used to

M.Brane
09-21-2008, 10:10 AM
You might try some different media. My Pioneer seems to burn +R better than -R even though it's rated the same for both.

kaye
09-21-2008, 11:28 AM
Damien,

I agree with you that those Verbatim DVD+R DL are great. Never burned a coaster in my G5. Same with my Plextor PX-8105A in a Gurus FW800/400 case. Are you using FW800 for your Plextor? k

rwm
09-21-2008, 12:47 PM
Anyway if you are considering a new iMac and need reliable DVD burning you might want to consider an external drive Well that won't be a deal breaker for me. Still using a Pioneer 103. :rolleyes: That iMac is looking better. I can buy a 20" iMac and span my current 20" Samsung - right?

Damien
09-21-2008, 07:21 PM
Damien,

I agree with you that those Verbatim DVD+R DL are great. Never burned a coaster in my G5. Same with my Plextor PX-8105A in a Gurus FW800/400 case. Are you using FW800 for your Plextor? k

Yes Firewire 800 and I am thoroughly pleased with it

rwmWell that won't be a deal breaker for me. Still using a Pioneer 103. That iMac is looking better. I can buy a 20" iMac and span my current 20" Samsung - right?

Sure can. You will need a (20$) adapter to go from mini DVI to standard DVI. I am currently running the 24" iMac along with a Benq 19" LCD

cowboyonamac
10-12-2008, 09:00 PM
Having just replaced the OEM Matshita DVD-R UJ 875 in my iMac 20 (first generation), I can say that the new (Panasonic) drive is much faster than the original. It's a DVD-RAM dual-layer (8.5Gb) burner, where the original was only a single layer (4.7 Gb), and that may have something to do with it, but it's a lot quieter too.

I just discovered that Toast 9 will allow me to burn Blu-Ray with it too, or so the software says.

Damien
10-13-2008, 08:16 AM
I have a UJ 875 and it is dual layer.. hmmm So slow that I only use it for audio CD's.

Toast will tell you it will burn Blu rays but I bet the drive doesn't read the disc. Unless your drive costs 4 times what it should have...