PDA

View Full Version : moved users folder,can't log into my account

jenniferg
09-09-2008, 06:00 AM
i followed advice of macguru tech guide about partitioning drives and moving users folder to "Local" partition. unfortunately i think i made a mistake--i named the folder with lower case u (users instead of Users). How can i get to the account preferences to check the path? I've already renamed the folder on "Local" to Users, but i still can't boot with the OS connected with that Users folder, (10.5.4). I can boot from external drive running 10.4.9,(i can't upgrade this disk without erasing it because it does not have guid partition--it's a firewire drive). I have 2.66 Mac Pro, 4 internal hard drives, original 250g with 10.5.4 which has the OS account I can no longer access and is the original drive from which I copied the Users folder with SynchProX to new drive with two volumes on it, "Local" and "Root Backup". The drive is empty except for the copied Users folder and a folder for applications which has only Synch Pro X in it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
jennifer

ricks
09-09-2008, 09:09 PM
You must have another Administrator User account to access that OS installation. You can use the installer CD method I send you via email to add a root user account. Then log in as root and fix the problem.

Rick