PDA

View Full Version : DVD burning.

billybobski
09-07-2008, 03:18 AM
Hello.

Intel iMac, iMovie, iDVD, all the usual OS 10.4.11 stuff.

So, a mate gives me a disc with a film on it. I can stick it in the iMac and play, no problems.

But I want to play it through a DVD player, onto a television.

And I can't work out how! I've tried dragging it into iMovie and then going through the Export procedure (as detailed in the Help menu), and it works to the point where I have exported the .mov - but my DVD machine says unrecognised disc. If I FORMAT the blank DVD first in the DVD machine, then the iMac says it can't use the disc because there is stuff on it! (There are a couple of 'invisible' folders, which I assume are part of the DVD formatting process).

Is there a straightforward (not even easy, I would settle for hard) way of taking a .mov file and putting it onto a formatted DVD disc so I can play it on a DVD player?

Or should I go back to bed?

Allen, London.

Greentree_uk
09-07-2008, 04:34 AM
iDVD does all the dvd conversion. so drop your movie in there and then burn

Damien
09-07-2008, 07:38 AM
Also though not as common anymore, there are some DVD players still out there that don't like rewritable dvd's So you might not want to use a DVDRW Use a DVDR instead.

DVDRAM will almost never work in a standard DVD player either

billybobski
09-07-2008, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I had already tried a test with an ordinary DVD RW, thanks Damien, and it worked, as did the full film (slow, but at least it meant I could go and clean the kitchen rather than poncing about with iMovies, iDvd, etc., etc.).

Works fine. I knew I should have asked here first!

Allen.