PDA

View Full Version : 2 iBooks. 2 Problems

bloodbeat
09-03-2008, 10:06 AM
Hello. I have two problems with 2 differnet iBooks that I recently purchased from eBay. They are both previously owned. I want to start this by saying that I love my Mac. I came from a PC world and now would have nothing less than a Mac. However, I am also completely out of my element when it comes to doing any tech work on these machines. So these problems may be completely common and easy to fix for anyone with at least a little knowledge of this OS, which at the moment, is not me.

The first iBook is running Tiger, and worked fine for around a week. My brother used it and now there is --what I think-- is a resolution issue.
The startup icon and boot circle load in full resolution. When the desktop loads, I see my background/icons/wallpaper in full resolution for around 2 seconds then everything shifts to a low resolution, kind of like when you enter safe mode in windows. I tried going to the display and changing the resolution, but nothing works. Any advice?

Second question. I recently purchased an ibook from eBay. It arrived yesterday and seemed to be packaged extremely well. However, after opening the package and attempting to turn on the Mac, I could hear the system boot but my screen was %100 black. I thought this was strange so I let the Mac charge for a few hours. I checked the battery light, it was full and I made sure it was secure in place. I then attempted to boot the system again, only to find the same problem. I could hear the system running but I have no power to the display it seems. Could something have come loose in shipping? Did I purchase a DOA lemon? I can press something like caps lock on the keyboard and the green light comes on to show that the keyboard is working. What should I do? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ricks
09-03-2008, 12:37 PM
First, welcome to MacGurus forums. Great place to hang out.

My first thought will be towards the resolution problem. Let's try an Open Firmware reset on it. See if something got scrambled on the motherboard ROMs. To do this, you start up the Mac and at the chime, press and simultaneously hold the Command+Option+O+F keys. The command key being the one to the left of the space bar with the 4 leaf clover sign .

WHen it tells you to release keys to continue, release them and at the '>' cursor type:

>reset-nvram
Hit Return
>set-defaults
Hit Return
>reset-all
Hit Return and the computer will restart. See if that fixes the res issue.

I would try a PMU reset on the the other computer. This is a hardware reset. Here's an Apple Document that should lead you to choose the right set of instructions to match your model iBook.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1431

Rick

unclemac
09-03-2008, 06:55 PM
Good places to start.

The resolution should not be too bad to correct.....could be software OS too. Saw this recently on a newer Mac, and a reinstall of the OS fixed it.

For the second ibook with a black screen, you may have a DOA Mac. There was a well known (in the geeky Mac circles anyway...) issue with some ibooks (http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/) that led to a video failure after about 2-4 years. This symptom fits the issue. Try the hardware reset, and then try pugging in an external monitor and rebooting to see if you get any video out. This only requires a little video adapter cable (http://store.apple.com/us/product/M8639G/A)....hopefully one of your ibooks came with one.

I would let the seller know ASAP. If this is your issue, the repair (replace the entire logic board) will likely cost more than you paid for the ibook..... though I know a guy who knows a shop that does repairs.

Could be other things, but if you can't get video at all and the PMU reset does not help, it is likely serious. Only other thing that comes to mind is that you can try to boot to an OS CD, or to Open Firmware (the equivalent of booting to BIOS).....hold down the option key while booting. If you get any video at all while booting to OF, then you might just have a software problem.

M.Brane
09-03-2008, 09:44 PM
Second question. I recently purchased an ibook from eBay. It arrived yesterday and seemed to be packaged extremely well. However, after opening the package and attempting to turn on the Mac, I could hear the system boot but my screen was %100 black. I thought this was strange so I let the Mac charge for a few hours. I checked the battery light, it was full and I made sure it was secure in place. I then attempted to boot the system again, only to find the same problem. I could hear the system running but I have no power to the display it seems. Could something have come loose in shipping? Did I purchase a DOA lemon? I can press something like caps lock on the keyboard and the green light comes on to show that the keyboard is working. What should I do? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have an iBook that was given to me by a friend with that exact problem. It's the well-known graphics chip issue. Give it a good firm squeeze on the left side between the trackpad, keyboard, and edge of the case while booting, and you should get video. Some people have installed shims to put pressure on the chip, and others have resorted to more drastic measures (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgY6d5OXhww) though it's still a temporary fix at best. The problem is the method used to attach the chip to the board results in the connections failing due to heat cycles, and mechanical stress.

MadDog
09-07-2008, 07:14 PM
For this type of problem, I send my boards into First Phase for a reflow.

Mad Dog

M.Brane
09-07-2008, 08:33 PM
For this type of problem, I send my boards into First Phase for a reflow.

Mad Dog

Yes that is the best solution, but this problem never should have happened in the first place, and wouldn't have if Apple had stuck with their tradition of quality over quantity.

It's pretty sad if you think about it.:(

unclemac
09-07-2008, 08:47 PM
........hey.....there's that guy I know. :)

Hiya Maddog. Thanks for checking in.

bloodbeat
09-09-2008, 12:48 PM
:jollyrog: Okay one problem down one to go. I was able to fix the Black screen problem, the RAM had came loose during shipping, easy fix.
One the other mac however, I have not been able to try any of your suggestions. I will do so in the next few days and let you all know what's going on.
Take care and thanks!

Daniel