PDA

View Full Version : Fuzzy/Black lines in Windows.

Captian Murphy
09-02-2008, 10:25 PM
Recently, fuzzy/black lines have been appearing in various windows and sometimes on the desktop background. They go away at times and then reappear again. Not sure what is causing them. Could it be a bad logic board? Either way, the fix sounds expensive. I have a 2 Ghz Intel core duo. Macbook Pro. See picture below.

unclemac
09-02-2008, 10:46 PM
Howdy Cap'n,

Do you have an Nvidia (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/feedback/MacBookPro_video_failure.html) graphic model model by chance? If so (sorry!), and this is your issue too, maybe there will be a recall......I think there may be a class action law suit already.

My only real complaint with Apple these days is how it has handled (or not) some of these hardware issues over the last few years. It is crazy frustrating, and just wrong.

Captian Murphy
09-03-2008, 11:24 AM
Howdy Cap'n,

Do you have an Nvidia (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/feedback/MacBookPro_video_failure.html) graphic model model by chance?

Hello, thanks for the response. I have an early gen macbook pro, with a RadeonX1600. I agree with you about Apple not liking to address hardware problems. I read an article recently talking about this. It compared how google handles problems when g-mail goes down. Google usually issues an immediate response telling what is wrong and saying they are in the middle of fixing it. With Apple and it's iphone problems, Apple was been quiet and not really responding much.

Captian Murphy
09-03-2008, 11:28 AM
Hey,
Thanks for the response. I have an early gen Macbook Pro with a RadeonX1600 card. So if this is the cause, what would the cost of replacing it be? As I understand the graphics card is snugly soldered to the logic board. I assume this is expensive. Would I just have to get another laptop? I just tried changing my screen resolution since someone told me too. I changed it to a lower setting then back to the normal setting. The lines have disappeared for now, but that seems to easy. Nevermind, they are back. New that sounded too easy.

unclemac
09-03-2008, 01:40 PM
Before you go down that road, it might be wise to confirm that it is what you think it is. You might try running an external monitor to remove the internal monitor for testing.......you might also try booting to a different drive or OS to see if the problem might be software/OS related.

I doubt it is, but would hate to see you replace the logic board to find it is not the problem!