PDA

View Full Version : Giga Designs 1.6GHz processor software

waypoint56
08-18-2008, 11:30 AM
I was wondering if anyone has the software installation disk for a Giga Designs A1600U a 1.6GHz processor upgrade? I replaced the mother board on my G4 Sawtooth because of external cash failure. When I transfered the processor it wasn't recognized. The firmware is upgraded and the processor still powers up on the old board and I have been researching and found that I probably need the disk that came with the processor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ricks
08-18-2008, 04:10 PM
If any of you guys have the installer files you can send them via email to me and I will forward them to the needy.

Rick

rwm
08-18-2008, 08:26 PM
I do for the Dual 1.6 ... I think it's the same. Still need it or other files?

waypoint56
08-21-2008, 08:43 PM
I got the Giga Designs updater 3.0.1 and the Giga-Meter 1.0.1 from MacGurus Support Rick and Randy. But still no go I don't know what I am forgetting. The firmware is updated the new board is the exact same model and I ran the updater and I know the processor works. There are jumpers on the processor card but shouldn't they remain the same since I am putting the processor on the same model mother board? Is there a diagram of the jumper settings? Any advice is much appreciated.

rwm
08-21-2008, 09:07 PM
I have the install manual in a pdf format it might help A step by step - you might see something. Possibly a few other files like jumper and voltage settings - not sure. I would leave jumpers the same. If anything try a CPU down-clock first. I had what sounds the exact problem/issue you are in now just over a year ago - I was clueless ... so I mailed the Giga to another Moderator friend in California it booted fine - that verified it worked.... played with it on/off a few more months and finally sent it and my entire DA to Rick and he said he did nothing different... it booted and mailed it back. :) We really never figured it out. It had to be me. :o

There was a bent pin once --- Look very very closely at all the tiny pins that plug into the CPU. Moderator Brane found a bent one on mine.

M.Brane
08-21-2008, 10:36 PM
rwm's setup, and mine are nearly identical. Mine has never given me a lick of trouble. After fixing the bent pins on his, and setting the jumpers same as mine I simply swapped cards. It booted, and ran fine for me. I sent it back to him, and it gave him trouble. Go figure.

I seem to remember someone else here having a similar problem with a Sawtooth, and that there were some differences in Sawtooth boards. There was a lot of good troubleshooting ideas brought up in that thread, and I think even a list of voltage settings. I've slept a lot since then though so it's hard to remember specifics.

When I run into issues like this I like to go back to a bone-stock config, and restart the whole process from step one.

waypoint56
08-22-2008, 02:03 PM
I Think I would like to try the install manual first. I know the processor works because it boots fine on the old board the old board just has a problem with externals. I believe that I read somewhere that there was a revision in that board within a month of it's release. The board is 820-1093 A, will a 1093 B or a 1094 A board work in that G4? I've looked at the pins and they seem fine. like I said it boots on the old board.

rwm
08-22-2008, 05:43 PM
It is on the way a little larger than 3,000 K - Randy

rwm
08-23-2008, 02:04 PM
Did you get it?

waypoint56
08-24-2008, 01:07 PM
I got it thank you very much! All my settings are correct. I fear I have a board like the one you had. The Giga Designs processor just isn't going to work with that board. The motherboard I found came with a 350 MHz processor. Maybe it is the 350 board that isn't compatible? I'm going to look for another board and try that. I'll let you know what happens. I'm grateful for all your help.

waypoint56
08-24-2008, 01:09 PM
By the way how do you have your jumpers set?

rwm
08-24-2008, 08:27 PM
My Dual 1.6 was left as factory settings as far as I know. A few people had it but no one changed it.
Note... my mobo is the same. I was doing something wrong - still don't know. :rolleyes: it worked fine for M.Brane and Rick put it in my same computer after I failed a dozen times. I've installed other Giga's.;)

waypoint56
09-12-2008, 10:43 AM
Hi Guys I'm back. I tried another board and still the processor won't work. Should I load that software in a specific order? I put the old board back in just to make sure and it fired up. I just don't understand why that processor doesn't work. Any other ideas?

M.Brane
09-12-2008, 06:17 PM
IIRC the process is:

You need OS 10.3.5 or later.

Confirm the Apple firmware version on the G4 is Boot ROM 4.1.9 or later.

Run the Giga Designs firmware updater.

Shut down, and install the board.

Also while double-checking myself on the install I found this gem:

7447A CPU Voltage Jumper Settings:

1.35v
J6- Closed (On)
J7- Open (Off)
J8- Open (Off)
J9- Closed (On)
J10- Open (Off)

1.4v
J6- Closed (On)
J7- Open (Off)
J8- Open (Off)
J9- Closed (On)
J10- Closed (On)

1.45v
J6- Closed (On)
J7- Open (Off)
J8- Closed (On)
J9- Open (Off)
J10- Open (Off)

1.5v
J6- Closed (On)
J7- Open (Off)
J8- Closed (On)
J9- Open (Off)
J10- Closed (On)

1.55v
J6- Closed (On)
J7- Open (Off)
J8- Closed (On)
J9- Closed (On)
J10- Open (Off)

1.6v
J6- Closed (On)
J7- Open (Off)
J8- Closed (On)
J9- Closed (On)
J10- Closed (On)

1.65v
J6- Closed (On)
J7- Closed (On)
J8- Open (Off)
J9- Open (Off)
J10- Open (Off)

HTH.

waypoint56
10-03-2008, 05:00 PM
I just wanted to let you know that I put that repair away for a couple of weeks to concentrate on other projects. I went back to it did all the same things and voila it worked. I must have gone through the same procedure 8 or 9 times and nothing. I know of no reason why it worked this time, or why it didn't work before. It just took the firmware upgrade and away it went.

I want to say thanks to everyone that helped you went above and beyond. I would have scrapped that G4 I'm glad I didn't have to it still has a lot of life left in it. Thanks again you are an invaluable resource.

M.Brane
10-03-2008, 05:43 PM
IIRC I had a similar experience the first time I installed the Giga. I simply re-ran everything, and it's been fine since.

Good to see you got it going. Enjoy the speed.:kickass:

rwm
10-03-2008, 10:48 PM
Super good to hear. Nice work. :D

unixphreak
03-25-2013, 12:39 AM
I am sorry for opening up an old thread but I really need this Giga Designs 3.0.1 updater badly, all i can find is the 2.0.1 version and its not working.

Thanks in advance and sorry again for reviving an old topic.

ricks
03-25-2013, 09:15 AM
I mailed it.

Rick

br0c0l1
06-14-2015, 11:00 AM
I mailed it.

Rick

I'm also needing this updater. Would you be able to provide it?

Thanks,
B-rock

rwm
06-14-2015, 11:19 AM
I'm also needing this updater. Would you be able to provide it?

Which one are you meaning here?

br0c0l1
06-14-2015, 11:30 AM
My apologies. Giga Designs 3.0.1 Updater.

I've got a dual 1.4 GHz Giga Designs CPU I'm installing into a 2002 Quicksilver and need the firmware patch.

Thanks,
B-rock

ricks
06-15-2015, 08:50 AM
I sent it to you.

Rick

rwm
06-15-2015, 08:17 PM
I've got a dual 1.4 GHz Giga Designs CPU I'm installing into a 2002 Quicksilver and need the firmware patch.
I don't have time to check now but many of the Quicksilvers did not need the patch. Thats why I used the main reason I used it. Problem is can't remember if it was my dual Giga 1314Q or my dual 1.6 Giga. The Giga 1.6 went into a DA.

Check your instructions for the installer and Quicksilver. -- that was years ago. I've forgot many little details without researching again.