PDA

View Full Version : How to Create Raid Boot Drive on 10.5?

CyclopsImages
08-17-2008, 07:13 AM
Hi there:
I will be installing 2 750GB SataII Seagate Drives in my Dual 1.8Ghz PPC G5 900Mhz Tower. (4GB RAM) Can someone please give me the steps to create a Striped 0 Boot drive with Leopard on this system?
Do I install Leopard on one drive and then create the Raid?

Thanks

William

M.Brane
08-17-2008, 09:19 AM
RAID 0 gives you no advantages as a boot volume, and has some serious disadvantages. I'd recommend against it.

That said you will have to create the RAID first since creating it will destroy any data on the drives.

unclemac
08-17-2008, 10:38 AM
Let's kick it around a bit............do you want a faster OS, or better performance for a particular app (such as PhotoShop or FinalCut), or were you looking for a a larger single volume?

Your specific needs will help determine the best approach to take.

Damien
08-17-2008, 12:25 PM
While raid 0 is very fast you only really see that speed in large continuous file transfers.. which is exactly what the OS does NOT do. The OS uses thousands of itty bitty transfers all the time, and rarely if ever makes a large transfer. WIth raid overhead factored in you gain almost nothing in speed there. Add to that the fact that raid 0 is the most insecure place to store your data that is available and you might want to rethink your options on this

Unclemac has the right thought on this.. let us know what you want to accomplish and someone here will know the best way to do it :dance:

CyclopsImages
08-17-2008, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the replies
I am a professional photographer and want speed speed speed.
If the raid has to be established first how do I do that if there currently is no OS on the drives?
What am I missing here?

Once I pull out the factory installed drive and put in the 2 blank 750GB drives do I boot from the Leopard DVD then create the raid then install the OS?

I hear ya about the dangers, more curious on how to do it is all.....just want to know! :)

M.Brane
08-17-2008, 03:15 PM
Once I pull out the factory installed drive and put in the 2 blank 750GB drives do I boot from the Leopard DVD then create the raid then install the OS?

Yup. The 2 drives then become one large volume.

You might want to read through some of the Tech Guides on the lower-left side of the page though before you decide on a final setup.