PDA

View Full Version : Questions about my Burly enclosure...

momo
08-12-2008, 05:03 PM
I'm using it attached with a lycom card to my macbook pro...intel, 10.5.4...works great...thanks rick for your advice before ordering this...it really is a perfect solution for me...ok, my questions...

When I shut down for the night I eject the disks, all five, power off the card, and just close the computer lid to put the mbp to sleep tilll morning...thing is, I can't figure out a way to wake it all back up, I mean the Burly enclosure, without pulling the express card out of the slot and putting it back in...

Is that the only way?...seems like it to me...but just want to be sure...

also wondering if people here think it's an ok practice to leave the express card plugged into the mbp for long periods...do i risk damaging the slot/mechanism?...

thanks for any advice here...

M

ricks
08-12-2008, 09:27 PM
I would just eject the drives in the Burly and power it down. No need to turn off the Express card. See if that gets it.

Rick

momo
08-13-2008, 03:54 AM
I would just eject the drives in the Burly and power it down. No need to turn off the Express card. See if that gets it.

Rick

I'll try that tonight...

but i did always think, based on things I've read here and elsewhere that leaving the enclosure running 24/7 was better for the drives and maybe even the fans within the enclosure...is this not right?...I mean is shutting the Burly down every night and restarting each morning ok?...

When I was using my g4 tower I left it running 24/7 unless I was going away for a few days or more...

thanks...

M

ricks
08-13-2008, 09:55 AM
I thought you were already doing that - turning the Burly off, hence why you were turning off the card.

If you just shut the lid on the MBP when you open it up and go out of sleep do the drives reappear? They should.

Rick

momo
08-13-2008, 01:26 PM
I thought you were already doing that - turning the Burly off, hence why you were turning off the card.

If you just shut the lid on the MBP when you open it up and go out of sleep do the drives reappear? They should.

Rick

Yes, when I just shut the lid no problem...they're there when I wake the mbp...it's just I've been unmounting/ejecting the disks, turning off the express card at night when I'm done with work...but leaving the Burly running 24/7...should i just not eject them or turn off the card?...I guess I thought that wasn't good, to leave it all that way, kinda live all the time...

M

ricks
08-13-2008, 02:44 PM
When you unpower the card it appears it never mounts properly again, or it would see the drives and mount them.

WHen you close the lid the system unpowers the card, and repowers it when you end sleep. I cannot see any difference when in sleep, the drives are spinning either way. It is just the order the bus comes up after sleep. Leave the card running and just close the lid. Exactly what I do.

R

momo
08-14-2008, 03:33 PM
When you unpower the card it appears it never mounts properly again, or it would see the drives and mount them.

WHen you close the lid the system unpowers the card, and repowers it when you end sleep. I cannot see any difference when in sleep, the drives are spinning either way. It is just the order the bus comes up after sleep. Leave the card running and just close the lid. Exactly what I do.

R

alright...this works like i wanted...close lid for night, express card cools down, the five amber lights at the bottom of the Burly shut off...I thought that might be the drives spinning down...the fans still goin'...and then it all comes back in the morning when i flip open the laptop...

thanks Rick...i didn't see this when I was trying various work methods...

Also hope maybe this'll cut down wear and tear on the express card slot/mechanism...time will tell...

kind regards

M

ricks
08-14-2008, 04:10 PM
You're welcome. Glad we could figure out a way for things to work for you. This beats playing the power switch each time.

Rick