PDA

View Full Version : Quieting the Burly

fgiraffe
08-07-2008, 06:27 PM
I have both a 4 bay Burly SATA enclosure, and the swappable Firewire 800/400 Burly case. Love them both, they have been great performers.

Except...

The systems are just too loud. It seems like on the 4 bay the noise is coming mostly out of the trays, and on the FW case it is coming from the back. They are both louder than my G5. I appreciate that they are moving a lot of air to keep the drives happy, but both are too loud to use in my editing room or on set when shooting video.

Any tips on modding these cases to quiet them down?
Any Ikea furniture which works out of the box as a cabinet? :-)
Are there replacement fans that might help?

Thanks in advance!

-Frank

ricks
08-07-2008, 08:21 PM
There are some high end fans you can use to replace the 80 mm case fan. We carry the Vantec fan for that purpose. Very quiet.

If the noise is coming from the bay fans about the only thing you can do is disable them. The fans are dual flow, if noise is the most important consideration then disabling the bay fans will only increase drive temps by 8 to 12 degrees.

Rick

unclemac
08-08-2008, 01:56 PM
Just curious, could one add a capacitor (or something) to lower voltages and fan speeds? Often you can still move a good amount of air at a lower speed, and be very quiet.

ricks
08-08-2008, 01:59 PM
To slow them you just change the voltage. Since you have 12 and 5 volt you can do combinations that give you 5V by replacing the 12 volt wire with the 5 volt wire. Or 7V by using the 5 volt wire as ground with the 12 volt on the hot side.

Rick

Urodoc
02-24-2013, 01:22 PM
There are some high end fans you can use to replace the 80 mm case fan. We carry the Vantec fan for that purpose. Very quiet.

If the noise is coming from the bay fans about the only thing you can do is disable them. The fans are dual flow, if noise is the most important consideration then disabling the bay fans will only increase drive temps by 8 to 12 degrees.

Rick

How do you disable the bay fans?

ricks
02-24-2013, 09:46 PM
Main thing is to get them clean. Then, if you would, check to see if one of them is really noisy, if so, replacing it is the next best approach. To disable a fan you remove it or unplug it. Some bays won't allow that if they have a fan alarm built in. Let me know what type of bays you have and I'll answer as best I can.

Rick

Urodoc
02-25-2013, 02:46 PM
I cleaned them with compressed air. Added a little silicone lube. They are quieter, but still noisy. The noise is from the 40mm bay fans, not the 80mm case fan.
I have a 4 bay burly with hot swap LCD bays. Not sure why I bought hot swap, since I have never hot swapped them. They run about 30-31 degrees.
Thought it might be ok to just disable the small fans on the drives to make is quieter.

BurlyHSLCD-b - Burly SATA Hotswap Bay w LCD (black)

I thought about adding a larger fan to compensate for turning them off, but not sure where to put it. Any ideas?

ricks
02-25-2013, 04:04 PM
If you unplug the fan in an LCD bay the alarm will go off. Best fix is probably to replace the bay (http://www.macgurus.com/store/ecom-prodshow/BurlyHSLCD-Bay-only.html), which also replaces the fan. I don't have any way to buy just that fan. Sorry to say that the LCD bays are more expensive, but they do last a long time.

Rick