PDA

View Full Version : I am a switcher....

Damien
08-03-2008, 03:44 PM
Yes I switched. From a tower Mac to an iMac.

I bought today, a 24" iMac 3.06ghz with the GeForce 8800 chip and a 500gig drive. With Applecare.

Here's a gotcha I never knew of before. If you have your users folder on a second drive and try to migrate that User to a new mac using Migration Assistant it will fail miserably.

M.Brane
08-03-2008, 08:22 PM
I was eyeing those when my sis & I took a trip to the Apple store. Sweet.

When I back up my separated system, and /User drives to another single drive I just clone the OS drive over, replace the symlinked /Users with the actual /Users then make the appropriate changes in NIM (still running Panther here). Works like a charm.

ricks
08-03-2008, 08:33 PM
I copy Home Directories all the time to MacBookPro and Powerbook drives to go on the road. I just use SyncPro and copy from my Users drive to the regular location User Directory on the MacBookPro. Always works like a charm as long as each user has a different UID. We set up dedicated UID numbers for all employees so that is a snap.

Last week Laurie and I went to California and I put all of her Home Directory and only my Library so I could take my email with me - we both used the same computer. WOrked great. Pieces of Home Directories from different computers all linked up on the MacBook. I synced them back when we returned.

Migration assistant is not useful for anyone running a custom setup.

Congrats Damien. Hope you enjoy the new machine. I have never used an iMac other than to set one up for customers. You'll have to tell us what you think after you've used it for a bit.

R

Damien
08-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Hey Guys

I ordered another FW800 bridge board today. Seems I am in need of some SATA connectivity.... My one bridge is full and I have more drives. What's a geek to do???

The iMac is fast and quiet and has a great screen. We'll see if I still like it in a few months ;)

It seems that in FW Target disk mode you only get the boot drive and if your users folder is elsewhere... too bad for you.

yeungfeng
08-04-2008, 12:58 AM
That is a really nice machine you got there!

A friend of mine got one of the 2.4's w/ the ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO / 256MB last fall. The screen is great, it's quiet, and fast. Oh you all ready said all that. Nine months later it's still a hit.

Apple may have truly hit a home run with these machines.

rwm
08-04-2008, 01:00 PM
A friend of mine got one of the 2.4's w/ the ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO / 256MB last fall. The screen is great, it's quiet, and fast. After Rick got my Dual 1.6 Giga to go the "itch" to buy has diminished a lot but I still keep looking at the 20" 2.66 GHz really the same computer looking a lot. The lack of a second internal drive at first sounds - yuck - but now thanks to FW800. :)

Sounds like a great Christmas present unless I go play in Vegas. :D

Damien
08-04-2008, 02:02 PM
I added external SATA to my iMac...

Ok sorta.. well not really. Kinda. (had you there for a minute though..)

I have a FW 800 bridge (soon to be getting another, thanks Rick) in a single 5.25" case. I added one of these

http://www.macgurus.com/ccp51/media/images/category/sata/satacablepower3310.jpg

to route one of the SATA ports on the bridge outside the case. Viola External SATA. Plugged in my Ext SATA hard drive and all works well. It is still FW 800 to the iMac though