PDA

View Full Version : 2nd PS for Burly

Wizzard501
07-27-2008, 03:37 PM
The second power supply in a Burly 4 drive SATA enclosure has stopped working. The first happened about 6 months ago. Something's not right.

The first time it happened I had it on a Seritek PCI to 4 e-sata external running on a souped up DA. We use it for a third back up tier on the in-house LAN.

It ran 24/7 and I thought maybe it had just gotten to hot where it was placed. We replaced the power supply, moved the data, switched it to a PC with a corresponding SATA Siig with software raid. Then reloaded the array and placed it where air was not a problem. Worked great up until yesterday evening. Power Supply is just dead.

I did note in preparing this post the we have all 400GB WD drives in the array, but three of them are WD4000KD and one is WD4000KS. WD's site seems to indicate that the KS is a Sata II drive and the others Sata I. I didn't note any significant voltage requirement differences. Would that difference make it harder on the power supply? These drives are kind of leftovers from past upgrades and so have variable ages. None of the drives are making any odd noises or appear to be excessively hot. As a matter of fact the thing is in there working right now after putting a 700 watt BFG power supply (that didn't get used because it sounds like a shop vac) in it with the 24 pin jumped. That'll work for a while until I get figured out what's going on.

ricks
07-28-2008, 11:13 AM
Sorry to hear you had a power supply give up the ghost. Not all that common, but once in a while it happens. I can think of another user who had a second failure. Fate, karma or just the electron gods having their way. I am afraid I would have to put this in the 'who knows' category. Not very useful answer, I know, but nothing is unusual about your setup.

Depending on warranty status of the power supply you might pull it open and check the internal fuse. Possible it popped for some reason. There is a seal on the power supply that would void any warranty if cut. The manufacturer put it there, they figure the inside of the PS is non user serviceable. You do have to use some caution in there as the capacitors can pack a wallop if you touch something hot.

Beyond that, replacing it is the solution. The power supply is typically good for up to 8 drives connected. So it isn't an overload situation by any means. Sounds more like some bad luck.

Rick

Wizzard501
07-28-2008, 11:34 AM
I'll go ahead and get that ordered. Nice to know it's not self-inflicted.

ricks
07-28-2008, 11:58 AM
Not a very satisfying answer though. Sorry about the vagueness. Check the fuse when you get a chance.

Rick