PDA

View Full Version : fw800 multi-disk storage enclosure

brandonlee
07-06-2008, 06:43 PM
i'm considering buying one of your firewire enclosures. few questions.

how exactly do they mount? will i get four separate mounts over a single fw wire?

same question i'm curious about with respect to esata interface, will all disks mount over a single esata cable or do i need multiple cables in that scenario?

i'm slightly confused (no reflection on your documentation, just very tired, my brain is scattered all over) whether the firewire unit also allows to connect via usb? i think it does, but i'd like to confirm.

how does hot-swap work on these? does a drive have to be ejected first before its swapped out or does the device sense when its being switched off with the lock key?

do you offer a five-drive option of your firewire enclosure?

will firewire enclosure let me read my old PC hard drives? some of my disks are formatted ntfs, if not from osx, will they perhaps mount from parallels?

what does "trayless" option mean?

thanks in advance!

ricks
07-06-2008, 09:34 PM
Welcome Brandon, see if I can answer these:

i'm considering buying one of your firewire enclosures. few questions.

how exactly do they mount? will i get four separate mounts over a single fw wire?
All are sepate individual JBOD drives. You can RAID them if you like, probably RAID is not the best setup using Firewire though.

same question i'm curious about with respect to esata interface, will all disks mount over a single esata cable or do i need multiple cables in that scenario?
Same same. eSATA just means we don't convert the data to Firewire. eSATA will give you significantly more performance than Firewire as the bandwidth is so much greater. In my opinion eSATA has obsoleted FW for most external hard drive implementations. Whenever possible choosing eSATA is the simpler/faster/cheaper solution. SImpler also always equals more reliable.

i'm slightly confused (no reflection on your documentation, just very tired, my brain is scattered all over) whether the firewire unit also allows to connect via usb? i think it does, but i'd like to confirm.

It does. However you should always consider USB a last ditch bus for hard drives. Very inefficient and slower than even Firewire 400. Which is why we never talk about USB much. It just isn't very good for this usage.

how does hot-swap work on these? does a drive have to be ejected first before its swapped out or does the device sense when its being switched off with the lock key?

ALL devices must be dismounted from your desktop before unplugging or unpowering them. This is true for eSATA, Firewire USB or any other device. In the case of the Oxford 924 chipset it is also advised you dismount all the drives in the enclosures and power it down when swapping drives in and out. Makes it simpler. Oxford still never fixed the problem where one drive removed from a bridge dismounts and remounts the other one. Easiest to just power up and down which resolves any issues at all.

Hotswap also denotes that drives are tray mounted. This enables the user to swap drives in and out without any time consuming screwdriver work.

do you offer a five-drive option of your firewire enclosure?

Happy to build one for you. Reason we don't offer it is that the Firewire bridge each can attach 2 drives. A 4 bay enclosure has 2 bridges. A 5 bay would have 3 bridges with one of them only able to attach one drive. Not as cost effective as even numbers of drives.

will firewire enclosure let me read my old PC hard drives? some of my disks are formatted ntfs, if not from osx, will they perhaps mount from parallels?

If they are SATA drives then usually there are tools to access them from OSX. No problem from within Windows running on the computer. They will mount natively in that case over Firewire or eSATA.

what does "trayless" option mean?

Not sure how to answer that better than the description on the page. No trays. Open the door, slide the drive in, close the door. I prefer trays since when the drives are out they are protected inside the trays. SOme want to be able to install drives with zero screw driver time, that is the way to do it

thanks in advance!

My pleasure.

Rick

brandonlee
07-07-2008, 04:55 AM
Rick,

thank you for your answers!

so let me make sure i understand. esata version will let me connect to an array of five disks with a single wire, mounting all five as separate drives? (i'm not interested in any kind of drive combining such as raid or mirror etc).

obviously i'll have to get an express card for my mbp. will i need to install some sort of drivers? any software issues accessing such disks from parallels?

does oxford issue you mention apply to five disk array as well as two disk array?

thanks again!

ricks
07-07-2008, 09:22 AM
so let me make sure i understand. esata version will let me connect to an array of five disks with a single wire, mounting all five as separate drives? (i'm not interested in any kind of drive combining such as raid or mirror etc).

Yes. All drives, in all Burly enclosures show up as individual. There is no use of the word 'RAID' in the name or description of any of those Burly enclosures. They are all JBOD.

obviously i'll have to get an express card for my mbp. will i need to install some sort of drivers? any software issues accessing such disks from parallels?

Yes, you will need an eSATA Express 34 card (http://www.macgurus.com/productpages/sata/LYCeSATA-2EC34.php). Yes it will require installation of a driver. That takes 1 minute, comes on a CD or is linked on the sales page.

I have not personally tested Parallels, so I have to condition any specific answers as I don't know a lot on any issues it might have. I don't expect anything different from Bootcamp, which I have tried. You will have no issues with accessing ANY drives in either MacOS or Windows. You may have to jump through some hoops to access any drives in BOTH Windows and MacOSX. Some things work, some don't when it comes to cross platform. So you may have to format a certain way or buy an application that lets you cross access in some cases.

does oxford issue you mention apply to five disk array as well as two disk array?

Doesn't matter how many drives there are, if there are 2 drives on one bridge then that pair of drives shares the requirements of dismounting both to physically remove and reinsert one.

On a 5 bay, since one drive will be the sole occupant of one of the bridges, that drive will be fully hotswapable since the other port is not attached to a drive.

Rick