PDA

View Full Version : HELP !!! Cannot get OS 9 to load in classic folder

speedrck
06-09-2008, 12:47 PM
I have a new (to me) PowerMac G4 running 10.3.9 and up until this point everything is going OK. Well, I need to do some work in OS 9 enviroment. I have the classic folder in my system preferences but no system installed.
I was under the impression when we bought this computer that the classic system was already there - but NOOO it's totally empty. Pretty little folder though. I have the original OS disc from 9.0-9.2.2 BUT I cannot seem to get them to load. I keep getting the same old message - you do not have the classic system loaded. I tried 9.0 'load 9.1 or later', didn't work. Seems like I'm on a merry go round. And I'm getting to the point where I'm at my wits end. I'm not a TOTAL idiot (just a little bit of one obviously). I NEED OS9 to get my work done, and I'm under a bit of a time issue here.
Is there anyone out there that can help me before I put a .45 through this thing?
Any suggestions would be so much appreciated.

ricks
06-09-2008, 02:29 PM
Sorry to say I wish I could help. I haven't run in Classic in so many years I have no idea how to do it any longer. Someone will come along who has though. Sorry I am not much use.

Rick

rwm
06-09-2008, 02:56 PM
I never ran classic and can't remember but .... someone should as Rick said. I'll search some. You said 9.2.2 is installed?

rwm
06-09-2008, 03:04 PM
I personally never liked "classic" but used OS 9 applications for a while. I preferred to boot back and forth between OS X and OS 9. Not a real pain in butt and it was stable and faster.

Nicolas
06-09-2008, 06:16 PM
Hello,

you have to uninstall OSX, partition ur drive into two parts one for OSX one for System9.

Install System9 on the partition.

Install OSX on the OSX partition.

Goto systemprefs in osx>classic and choose the System9 folder and hit start.
Classic is nothing more or less than a "normal" System9 without extensions loaded.

Thats all.

But, your System9 install disc MUST be compatible with ur Mac.

Regards

Nicolas

marrand
06-10-2008, 08:25 PM
I use OS9 every day in addition to OSX 10.4.11. Worked well with 10.3 also before upgrade to tiger. (I MUST use Netscape version 4.0.x to run an outdated java program).

Two ways work for me:

1. Dual 1.25GH G4, manufactured in Dec. 2002 or before. This will allow the trick proposed by Nicolas: uninstall OSX, repartition, and so on as he described. This is the best way, and allows you to boot into the oldfashioned OS9 without OSX getting in the way.

2. G5 PPC quad with Tiger. The classic OS9 installs from the OS disks which came with my computer, but it is bare bones OS9. I had to install a few OS9 applications into the Applications (Mac OS 9) folder. You can create an alias for your OS9 program, put it any place in OSX environment, click on it, and your computer will launch the classic and then the program. But it will be OS9 sitting on top of OSX and slower.

Method 2 will work on any nonintel computer with OSX 10.4.11 and below. The classic is gone for intel and/or leopard configurations.

marrand

speedrck
06-11-2008, 02:33 PM
Thanks to all who responded. I am here to admit that I'm a lot embarrassed to admit how really dumb I am. I have two hard drives on this computer and one is totally empty. I just started up with the 9.2.2 disc and loaded it on the extra HD and all is well. I've had a Mac since I had my 'new' Plus so I should know enough to had figured this out WAY before now. I do appreciated everyones post - it's nice to know that there are problem solvers out there.
Thanks again, Susan

rwm
06-11-2008, 02:41 PM
Feel free to ask for any help at anytime. Thats why were here. We will do our best to give good (non biased - mostly) advice. :D

cowboyonamac
06-24-2008, 11:23 AM
Oops! Didn't read that last post first.
I was going to say if it wouldn't install.

Depending on the date of manufacture, you may or may not be able to load OS 9 as a stand alone.
Hardware 'signing' prevents loading anything lower than what was current at the time of manufacture as a separate install.

I've had a G4 iMac that wouldn't load OS 9 by itself, and wouldn't load anything under 10.2.8.
My daughter's MacMini won't accept anything under 10.3.9, and my iMac doesn't allow anything under 10.3.6.
I used to do a lot of software testing, and I needed my old iMac DV G3 because it'd take 9.0, 9.1, 9.2, 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3 and 10.4 on a 160 Gig HD.
When I got the G5 iMac I had to get used to running only one OS or two at the most, and OS 9 as its own partition was no longer an option.

OEM disc sets usually include a "Classic/Hardware Test" CD or DVD (depending on the OS) and you should be able to install Classic from that disc if you have it.
Even if you re-install and partition though, you will likely not be able to install from an OS 9 disc, and it can't be used to install Classic as Classic is only an emulator, not the full OS (hence some software won't run in Classic).
If you don't have the OEM disc set, check around, they're not very expensive, but make sure you get the right discs for your machine, and you should be able to just pop in the Classic disc and install it.