PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh....

cowboyonamac
06-05-2008, 11:12 PM
I had a Lynda.com Flash training disc in, and was running it in full screen mode when it froze. Command tab wouldn't work, so I had to force a shutdown.

Now I can't get booted and the CD is still in the drive.
I have tried selecting a boot device (Option boot) and it isn't recognizing Tiger.
Letting it run on normal boot gives my the unknown drive flashing face and folder.

Is there any way to force the disc out of the drive on a G5 iMac?
I've tried holding down the mouse to no avail.
I've tried holding the eject key when booting.
I can't even boot into single user mode since it doesn't recognize the UI right now.

Luckily everything I need is in external drives, but I really don't want to reload my OS, and if I can't get the CD out, that isn't even an option.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

Update: I got the CD out by switching to my hardwired mouse, but it still won't recognize my OS.

Can I repair it or am I pooched?

unclemac
06-06-2008, 12:31 AM
Do you have a second Mac and a firewire cable? How about Disk Warrior?

If not, you can try booting to your OS CD/DVD now that you got the other disk out, and fire up Disk Utility, and see what it thinks of your internal HD.

If BSD is happy, you should now be able to boot to single use mode again....unless you have a hardware issue, or the HD or OS is now wonky.

If nothing else works, you can do an Archive and Install (assuming the HD is OK), which will preserve your data and settings/configurations. Kinda slow, but low risk and easy to do - mostly unattended waiting. Once you get through that, you can decide if you trust the HD, and run OS update(s) to back to where you were.

cowboyonamac
06-06-2008, 12:51 AM
Well, it wouldn't read my Tiger DVD, so I had to go back to the 10.3.6 that came with it.

Here's why I am such a bugger about backing EVERYTHING up!

I have my Mac HD parted into two 80 gig halves. One for Tiger and the other for storage. The Panther disc wouldn't allow me to choose the Tiger partition for install so it went onto the storage half. Luckily that only had Mp3's already on my external Music drive, so there was no loss. Amazingly, after the install, all the music folders were intact too!

When it booted into Panther only one HD partition showed on the desktop and in Finder.

I Ran Disk Utility, and the partition with Tiger is labeled "Disk0s5" and verification shows a number of errors.

I'm still running it (Disk Utility) so I'll let you know what I find.

cowboyonamac
06-06-2008, 03:29 AM
Well, the Tiger partition was a complete loss. I had a bunch of software on there that has to be reinstalled from backups now, but that's why I back it up.

I'm pretty sure I have other issues though, because it was running really slow, and I had to hard reboot it just to get through setup. Then Finder locked up, and I had to shut it down manually. When it rebooted it didn't recognize the OS again. I repartitioned the HD to just a single partition, and am reinstalling 10.4 again, but I tend to suspect I have RAM issues. I've got a gig of PC3200, but it's never lagged like this before. It recognizes all of it, but I couldn't get to the System Profiler to see if it has problems or not.

I'm calling it a night.

cowboyonamac
06-06-2008, 07:48 AM
My Hard drive is officially done. Or should I say well done.
I finally got 10.3.6 to load from the OEM disc, (After seven attempts) and once set up began, it sounded like a couple kids stomping on bubble wrap for about fifteen minutes and then the whole thing froze up on the information page. Mouse wouldn't work, beach ball just kept spinning, HD just kept crackling, and when it finally stopped it made a few clicks and then a pop, and the screen went black.

Looks like I'll be 'Macless' until next February, and then I can look to Uncle Sam for a Core Duo Mini. Good thing I have CS3 on my laptop.

Nicolas
06-06-2008, 08:19 AM
Hello,

if it is the HD only, not that kind of a big costly repair ;)

Well a new hard drive isn't that kind of expensive these days, you can use the most SATA 3.5" drives.

Ask Rick he may help you chosing one.

Regards

Nicolas

unclemac
06-06-2008, 09:00 AM
Depending on which G5 imac it is, the HD swap may actually be easy.

Early = easy
Late = hard

Don't forget you can always run it from an external firewire drive too. A little slower, but plenty good for everyday use.

cowboyonamac
06-06-2008, 04:50 PM
I found a Western Digital Caviar 500Gb locally for $129. That's what it had out of the box, only 160Gb instead of 500.

Now I just gotta come up with $129.

unclemac
06-06-2008, 06:11 PM
Check your model and see which you have. Big difference between how the drives go in.

The early ones are very easy if you are handy with a screw driver. Only need a phillips and a little patience.

The late model G5s (and the Intel imacs) are a challenge. You should find a take apart guide before you attempt. let's ID your computer first.

Oh, and double check that the HD you found is SATA, not PATA/IDE

cowboyonamac
06-07-2008, 01:02 AM
It's a first gen PPC circa January 2005, and the fried drive came out in just under ten seconds. The serial ATA connectors were a little tight to pull off, but they came out with some coaxing.

I guess I've found a use for my "Economic Stimulus Check" which won't be here till the week of July 4th. BestBuy will probably have a big sale going on that week, so it'll be doubly good. Funny about WD drives, 500Gb is Mac compatible, but the 1 terabyte drive says Windows only. Seagate has a terabyte for ten bucks less and it IS Mac compatible, so I'm debating that purchase.
I'm pretty sure the bus could handle it since I presently have a terabyte between three drives. My old G3 DV Graphite handled three external USB drives and a 160Gb internal parted eight ways with no problems and it only had 384 Mb of RAM!

Maybe they'll have PC3200 RAM in stock then too. I'd really like to go to 2 Gigs.

cowboyonamac
06-26-2008, 04:52 PM
After looking it over quite a bit, I decided on a 500gB Seagate from BestBuy.
A Terabyte is just more space than I need for an internal drive, and the WD had some iffy to questionable traits in customer reviews that weren't there for the Seagate.
The WD is $40 less, but I put a Seagate drive in my G3 and it's still kicking six years after I installed it according to the new owner.