PDA

View Full Version : VCD o SVCD with extra data

pmaril
05-15-2008, 05:38 AM
Hi everyone, I am asking here for an option to make a VCD or SVCD with the VideoLan installer for windows and mac on it, so it plays on DVD Players or computers.

Is any workaround?

I have made a multisesion, with the first sesion (Via toast) the SVCD, and then add a second sesion with the installers. Plays nice on the DVD Players, but the computers only can see the second sesion with the installers, and the movie is not recognized by VideoLan.

Can anyone give me a hand here?

Thanks a lot,

Pablo from Argentina.

kaye
05-15-2008, 06:31 AM
I did a search. Looks like there are several possibilities:

http://www.google.com/search?q=play+SVCD+on+Mac&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
k

pmaril
05-15-2008, 07:37 AM
Dear Kaye:

I have found how to play de SVCD, the problem is that I need to put the installer of that player INSIDE the SVCD, so it could play on stand-alone dvd player, and, if the user don't have the application already installed, could take the installer (for win and mac) from the same SVCD, and play it from the computer.

Is for promotional purpouse, and not everyone has a DVD player, so the solution is SVCD or VCD, but in most computers, without an application that plays this formats, is of no use to have it.

despaxas
05-16-2008, 08:14 AM
Putting the VLC installers as the second session of a VCD or SVCD is a good idea, but apparently doesn't work. Since most computers now will play DVDs, VCD/SVCD development is dead, although the .mpg format is still used by some legal software and PowerPoint. The only possibility I see is to use Toast 5. Only Toast 5, when it would build VCDs, would put a .mov alias on the disk itself that any computer with QuickTime can play back without additional software. The .mov alias points to the actual .dat file on the VCD itself which is usually unplayable. Otherwise I don't see any way to make a disk that plays in the majority of DVD players and the majority of computers. Some DVD players will play certain video files on data disks, but not many players. Good luck.