PDA

View Full Version : iPod firmware upgrade - can't use iPod now!

bigfrog
05-07-2008, 02:58 PM
I am on OS X 10.4.8 (I have to be, because of the version of Pro Tools I am using) - which means I am on iTunes 7.5.

iTunes 'helpfully' offered to upgrade the firmware on my iPod Classic, so I foolishly said OK.

Now iTunes won't talk to the iPod, because the iPod wants iTunes 7.6, which needs OS X 10.4.something-higher-than-what-I-can-use.

I am stuck. Any help much appreciated.

rwm
05-07-2008, 05:57 PM
Now iTunes won't talk to the iPod, because the iPod wants iTunes 7.6, which needs OS X 10.4.something-higher-than-what-I-can-use. I have read this in a few places. I started playing with an iPod Touch last week.

Your stuck - hummmm. FW Drive? A backup? A partition you can use for a quick install? An extra drive? Retail DVD 10.4.x?

Greentree_uk
05-08-2008, 12:23 AM
Protools info

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?langid=51&navid=54&itemid=22904

don't see any reason not to upgrade. but why not clone your drive and try it. atleast you'd then be able to boot off your clone if only to update your ipod....

rwm
05-08-2008, 12:10 PM
Or is it time to start over clean fresh install. No things are in good shape on this drive. ;)

unclemac
05-08-2008, 08:40 PM
Some of the ipods.......shuffles for sure........have firmware reset download available. Have you looked for your model? How about a restore (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1339?viewlocale=en_US)?

M.Brane
05-08-2008, 09:12 PM
I swear Apple, and Digidesign become more like M$ every day.:rolleyes:

Never, ever, update/upgrade anything if you are happy where your are, and think seriously before you decide to take the upgrade plunge.

If you wipe the iPod completely, and can install an older version of the firmware you might be OK, but I don't know if that is possible. My Mini is still on an older version since it works fine.

bigfrog
05-10-2008, 05:39 PM
I have found a 'workaround' for this, although I will in future consider all suggestions to upgrade very carefully.

It seems Digi say that my version of Pro Tools is now supported by 10.4.9.

iTunes 7.6 also works on 10.4.9 - problem solved by upgrading the OS and iTunes.

I couldn't use 'Restore' because you need to do this via iTunes, and if iTunes no longer speaks to your iPod (as is the case after the firmware upgrade) you are stuck!

It is shameful that Apple's firmware upgrade doesn't warn you that you may render your iPod useless if you upgrade.

Not a happy bunny.

M.Brane
05-10-2008, 06:27 PM
What I meant by "wipe" was initialize the iPod in Disk Utility just like any other drive by writing zeroes.

Good to see you didn't have to go to such drastic measures though.

I have 10.4.9 on my Pismo, and B&W. It seems to be a fine OS. Still on 10.3.9 on my DA though due to the 001. It works fine too.:D

bigfrog
05-10-2008, 11:37 PM
...but the 'open CD tray' key now doesn't work under 10.4.9, so I have also been robbed of Ctrl+'open CD tray' to get to the shut-down/restart menu.

Yes, I've tried repairing permissions. And different USB ports. And zapping the P-RAM.

System is QS 800 (2002) with USB extended keyboard of the same vintage.

bigfrog
05-11-2008, 01:08 PM
OK - after spending ages trawling the net (and doing an OF reset) I found this - http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305268

It would have been helpful if Apple mentioned this on the 10.4.9 upgrade page.

BF