PDA

View Full Version : Dead 22 inch CRT-suggestions for LCD replacement

stewend
05-07-2008, 11:56 AM
We have a 22" Apple CRT that just died and would like suggestions for replacing it with a new LCD monitor. This one gets lots of use for design work by our busiest production/design person and while we would like a good color calibrated monitor do not plan on doing daily densitomiter calibrations as our work is not top end design but everyday mid-low end publishing. We would like to go up in size a little so maybe a 23" or 24" model. The Apply cinema 23" is inviting but a hefty price tag. Is it really better than Similar Samsung or Viewsonic models? Could someone suggest what would be best for our needs.

sixtus
05-19-2008, 12:33 AM
We have a 22" Apple CRT that just died and would like suggestions for replacing it with a new LCD monitor. This one gets lots of use for design work by our busiest production/design person and while we would like a good color calibrated monitor do not plan on doing daily densitomiter calibrations as our work is not top end design but everyday mid-low end publishing. We would like to go up in size a little so maybe a 23" or 24" model. The Apply cinema 23" is inviting but a hefty price tag. Is it really better than Similar Samsung or Viewsonic models? Could someone suggest what would be best for our needs.

Philips 220WS8FS. I use it with a lot of satisfaction.

(or : LCD widescreen monitor 24" wide 240BW8EB/05)

http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/en/gb/consumer/cc/_productid_220XW8FB_00_GB_CONSUMER/LCD-widescreen-monitor+220XW8FB-00

sixtus :)

Greentree_uk
05-19-2008, 12:49 AM
What matters with these displays is colour gamut. we recently had a colour calibration company come in to us. The said, We only certify our software with two displays. Apple Cinema 23" and an Eizo. the Eizo costs 3000, so the apple display suddenly doesn't look so expensive.

Nicolas
05-19-2008, 05:27 PM
Yeah but the Apple isn't a good allround display...

1. Samsung 245T Great display, 24", same S-PVA Panel as the NECs ;) (cuz Samsung build them for NEC and also Eizo) $678.99 (PC-MALL, CompUSA)

2. Eizo S2431W Best (no CG) display (also S-PVA) IMHO, 24", same hardware (12 Bit-LUT) as in the CG Series and 5 years warranty but costly $1100.

And I have to state I love EIZO :)

Regards

Nicolas

momo
05-21-2008, 06:04 AM

I'm a graphic designer that also needs to replace a sony crt shortly...I never had to color calibrate that thing for my print work...I work with four color printers doing book covers mainly, some posters, etc...and the base type of gamma and apple screen color adjustments always were right on the money...I'm gonna miss that crt...

After much reading I'm leaning toward two monitors...Apple's 23" or the NEC 2490...unless something more convincing comes along between now and the time I buy...

as part of a recent sean reid review, karl lang, a well known monitor maven, called the 2490 the best monitor for the money for photographers...getting sean reid reviews takes a subscription...i take some photos so i joined...it's here if you want...

http://www.reidreviews.com/reidreviews/

cost is $32.95 a year...

I'd say do some reading/research...the s-ips panels, both the apple and nec use them, are supposed to be better quality than the pva panels...only you can decide if you need that...

good luck...

M

Nicolas
05-21-2008, 07:59 AM
Your right PVA panels are not that good but, Apple was using them also MVA panels ;)
S-PVA panels are way better :)

S-IPS is a dead technology the new one is H-IPS and the new model is the 26" 2690WUXI.

Momo, I do not agree with you...
I don't think the 2490 is a good deal, especialy if you compare it in things like colorspace coverage (the closer to 100% the better ;)).

NEC 2690 26"= 93.8% AdobeRGB coverage $1280 + $149 for the colorimeter = 1429

NEC 2690 SpectraViewII 26" = 93% AdobeRGB coverage colorimeter incl. $1399

Samsung 245T 24" = 90% AdobeRGB coverage $680 + $149 for the colorimeter = $829:kickass:

NEC 2490 24" = only 76% Adobe RGB coverage $1100 + $149 for the colorimeter = $1249

NEC 2490 SpectraViewII 24" = only 75% Adobe RGB coverage colorimeter incl. $1299

Apple Cinema Display 23" = ??% Adobe RGB coverage $899 + $149 for the colorimeter = $1048

If you don't need consistent color or if you not alot of color manipulations... don't get a colorimeter and safe the money ;)

As you can see the Samsung 245T is doing better with it's S-PVA than the NEC with it's S-IPS panel ;)
So, the Samsung is more favorable and achieves 90% Adobe RGB coverage, so the Samsung is the best b. for the bucks :)

The only difference between the NEC normal and the SpectraViewII series is a $100 colorimeter and software and why do their 90' series better in in the colorspace summary than their "made for Professionals" SpectraView Series? Sorry, I am speechless:(

The Eizos come with an GretagMacBeth Eye-One Display 2 colorimeter and software $259 worth :), go think ;)

I used to work as DTP-operator since the early 90s. I love the 21" CRT Barco calibrators also the Eizo CG series but, I hav to admit I realy hate the Spectraview and SpectraviewII Series it is a shame they sell a display with only 75% Adobe RGB coverage as Color matching display :(

The newest technology is using S-PVA or H-IPS panels with LEDs instead of a cathode light as backlight. With LED-Background lightning you can achieve a complete consistent brightness over the entire screen. A good thing but those panels are costly :(

Regards

Nicolas

momo
05-21-2008, 08:12 AM
Hi Nicolas...I never heard of H-ips...i'll have to look into that...thanks for the info...

you aren't disagreeing with me but with karl lang...i just quoted him...and i only quoted him because i know he has a great reputation in this, the monitor field...so feel free to disagree, it's ok with me...

and yes, I'll certainly look into the nec 2690 when the time comes to pull out the credit card...maybe by then, a few months i think, apple will introduce new lcd's?...

i think the main thing, for me and my usage will be how good the detail and gradients are for photography and how true to color i can get the screen for web press printing...my old sony g500 was incredibly accurate...i hope i can get close with an lcd...it'll be my first...

maybe if i had the cash the eizo's would be best but i'm not sure how much better they are than the apple or the nec 2490 ot 2690 and if for my needs it would be worth the money...something only a comparison up close and personal would decide...

kind regards

M

Nicolas
05-21-2008, 09:26 AM
Momo,

wasn't ment harsh...
Your welcome!

The Sony G500 was a very good CRT but it was a CRT ;)
CRTs don't have the probs TFT do have like a good white and black and thats the main issue if you need a good TFT for Prepress with Softproof capabilities.

What should I say best thing is if you can test the display on YOUR Mac first.
If some resellers do have a money back guaranty I would test the display on my Mac.
All I can say I am pleased with the Samsung Pro Panels good quality, great colors.

We do have many Eizos some Samsungs and a few Apple displays.

I have to say if you do calibrate the Samsung it is GREAT not as not as the Eizo but, not far away, way better than the Apple and a SpetraView I calibrated for a friend. But you only see the difference if you do have a JUSTNormlicht 5000K next to the display with the original :)

http://www.just-normlicht.de/us/shop/shop.asp?wag=Auflicht%2DDurchlicht

Regards

Nicolas