PDA

View Full Version : Aperture 2.1 trial on PowerMac G4

sixtus
05-07-2008, 10:16 AM
Hi there,
do You know if it's possible to install and run Aperture 2.1 (trial version) on a PowerMac G4; 1,25GHz; 2GB RAM; ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 256MB RAM; OSX 10.5.2 ?
This question because, reading the minimal HW requirements reported on Apple Store site, it seems to me that this is possible!

What's Your opinion about? :D

ricks
05-07-2008, 12:24 PM
No problem. Leopard and everything else is still supported on that Mac.

Rick

sixtus
05-17-2008, 05:35 AM
No problem. Leopard and everything else is still supported on that Mac.

Rick

Hi Rick,
Contrarily to the expected one, I have found some compatibility hardware problem on my Mac G4, but, finally, after a big help from an italian Mac user, I've successfully installed Aperture Trial.
Now I've loaded about 500 images from iPhoto 08 library.
It works very well and with acceptable performances.

best regards

sixtus

eric
05-18-2008, 12:45 AM
Contrarily to the expected one, I have found some compatibility hardware problem on my Mac G4, but, finally, after a big help from an italian Mac user, I've successfully installed Aperture Trial.
Hi,

Out of my own curiosity and for completeness of the thread, what was the problem and how was it solved? This in case someone else has the problem -- we have the solution handy.

Thanks.

sixtus
05-18-2008, 03:28 AM
Hi,

Out of my own curiosity and for completeness of the thread, what was the problem and how was it solved? This in case someone else has the problem -- we have the solution handy.

Thanks.

Hi Eric,

this is the procedure I have used to crack Aperture to work with my G4 MDD

THIS HACK WORKS WITH APERTURE V. 2.0 AND OS X TIGER 10.4.11
(But I have successfully used it with V. 2.1 and OS X LEOPARD 10.5.2)

Part 1
1. Download the trial from Appleís website
2. Open the ApertureTrial.dmg disc image
3. Create a new directory on your hard drive
4. Drag the two items out of the .dmg and onto your local disc
5. Go to ApertureTrial.mpkg->show contents->contents->ApertureTrial.dist
6. Open ApertureTrial.dist with TextEdit and remove the 15th line: installation-check script='installationCheck()'
7. Save and quit, than run ApertureTrial.mpkg
8. After the installation has completed you will find that it fails to launch, complaining the the computer doesnít meet requirements. Now itís time for the hex editor.

Part 2
Follow these steps with 0xED:
1. Open 0xED
2. Choose File -> Open...
3. Navigate to /Applications, then Aperture.app, then Contents, then MacOS, and finally choose the Aperture file and then click on Open
4. Ensure the editor is set to Overwrite mode (Edit -> Write Mode)
5. Enter 6d21b0 into the Offset box and hit Enter (note 1)
6. Check the ASCII side of things and you should see the first occourrence of the string performRequirementsCheck starting under the cursor
7. Replace the string with performLicenseCheck
8. Switch to the hex view, and erase the extra five characters (the Check string) with zeros
9. Save this file
10. Launch Aperture as you normally would
Thatís it: no more video card checks or RAM limits to edit.
note: if still apps complains for Ram minimum open Aperture->show contents->resources->minsys.plist with TextEdit and change to desired value
Quit and save

Note 1 : IF YOU GOT APERTURE V. 2.1 you'll see the string in 0xED is incorrect, so use the "Text Search"right next to the offset box and type in:
"RequirementsCh" (without quotes) with a capital R and a capital C. This should lead you to the string. This point repeat steps from 6 to 10 of Part 2.

Done

Best regards

Sixtus