PDA

View Full Version : Loud Fans - Burly 5 bay esata raid

RGFrog
04-27-2008, 11:34 AM
I've swapped out the 80mm upper fan with a Vantec silent 8025 as was suggested in another thread.

However, it seems that the noise is mostly coming from the 5 separate bay fans.

Is there a way, short of replacing the fans with quieter models, to reduce the noise from these fans. Moving the box to another location away from my editing bay, sadly, is not an option.

I've confirmed it's not the PSU fan or the 80mm exhaust fan.

It's not a mechanical failure, just loud fan operation.

Fans aside, i love my burly!

Thanks.

Nicolas
04-28-2008, 05:03 AM
Hello,

you know, there are small fans installed cuz the bays havn't enough room for bigger ones. A small fans (40mm or so) needs high RPM to push air...

1. What I mean is loud = high airflow = good cooling

2. Quite = a bigger fan at lower RPM or more smaller fans at lower RPM if there is room

3. replacing a high RPM/airflow fan with a low RPM/airflow fan = less colling = higher temps = "worst case scenario" hardware failure due to overheating.

It was and it still is a fact, the faster the hardware/the harder the conditions like 24/7 use - the louder it is.

Regards

Nicolas

unclemac
04-28-2008, 10:26 AM
Anyway to insulate for noise, but still allow good cooling?

ricks
04-28-2008, 11:03 AM
I haven't got a lot of customer feedback on this over years since we started using those hotswap bays. Most find them less obtrusive than other manufacturer's offerings. However, I agree with you that the internal 40MM fans are the majority source of fan and airflow noise.

The only thing that comes to mind for a fix is to maybe blanket wrap the enclosure. Most of the sound probably escapes out the air holes, but a bit is transfered by the case itself and a light weight cover that didn't block airflow would insulate you from some of that. Worth a test with any old blanket to see if it helps at all. Be interested to see what you think.

Rick