PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to Leopard

ftonelli
04-22-2008, 01:24 PM
Hi Gurus,

I am ready to upgrade to Leopard on my MacPro.

Can you give me some suggestions on the best way to do that since I run OS on one disc and Users on another disc?

Thank you,

Francesco

ricks
04-22-2008, 02:00 PM
Just do the upgrade. It will maintain/migrate the User permissions, paths and passwords from NetInfoManager.

The only issues with upgrades are making sure you run current driver versions for hardware that may get broken. Sonnet host cards are a big one that comes to mind. Bring those up to current before running the updater.

Rick

ftonelli
04-22-2008, 06:31 PM
Thank you very much Rich,

I didn't think about hardware drive versions. I will upgrade them all before running the updater.

One last question:

Do you recommend the regular upgrade, or Archive and Install or Erase and Install?

Thanks a million,

Francesco

unclemac
04-22-2008, 08:16 PM
Do a complete backup of your happy system first. This gives you options. :)

Whichever way you go, if it goes badly, you can restore to your backup, and try again. And again, and again, and again......... Generally it is always preferred to erase a drive, do a clean install of 10.5, run the Combo update, then reinstall your apps, or run the Migration Assistant.

I have have very good luck making 10.5 backup with the latest version of CarbonCopyCloner.

ricks
04-22-2008, 09:30 PM
I believe ftonelli has SyncPro, which should be fine. A backup is a great idea.

I don't do many archive and reinstalls. In fact, just to test for what would happen, I am pretty much running an OS install that has been upgraded in place all the way from OS10.0.4, way back when. That record will be broken when I finally move to the MacPro. So far my Work machine is still a G5. I always figured the OS install was disposable, so I always have upgraded in place.

Rick

ftonelli
04-23-2008, 05:16 AM
Thank you Rick and Uncle Mac.

I don't have SyncPro, I use Chronosync.

I will make sure to have a fresh backup and all software up to date, then plunge in.

Speak soon,

Francesco