PDA

View Full Version : G4 won't startup or chime after pressing power button

rwm
04-01-2008, 12:24 PM
My good friend and neighbor who helps me move lots of hardware around -- the friend that recently bought macollector's DA/667 a nice upgrade from his "400MHz YIKES"

Problem: With his G4 Yikes he had a startup issues it's entire life. He thought it was an Apple problem from the start but never took it in. OK... You press the power button, hear fans, no boot or chime and it quits. Next time it boots fine. Yesterday he said the DA/667 10.4.11 was doing this. This seems strange both of them. They both run fine no issues after booted.

A. Loose wires
B. Power supply going bad
C. I wonder if he is pressing things weird. I told him to press the power on quickly - one good push and get your finger off the button.

Most my searches result in how to use the power button to shut down or working with force quit. Post any links you might think helpful.

Thanks Randy

rwm
04-01-2008, 02:43 PM
My friends old G4 Yikes does seem to have a factory hardware problem. Read the last post in this thread from when I was helping friend with the Yikes and same problem a long time ago. Since it was not a simple fix or a major problem. He never fixed it.

http://www.macgurus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13338

Would a DA have same problem? --well sure it could-- :rolleyes: How likely?

M.Brane
04-01-2008, 09:04 PM
Weird.

I've never had that problem on any Mac I've owned, but then I usually let go of the button as soon as there's signs of life.

I did resurrect a supposedly dead Pismo once by just holding the button down until it fired up! :D

I would trust the advice in that thread. Some posters there have forgotten more than I know about Macs.;)

rwm
04-02-2008, 10:53 AM
Never heard of this on anyones DA or QS only the Yikes. That is why I am wondering about how my friend presses the power button. I have watched him here at the house and really can't see anything wrong in the way he presses the power on. But on occasion --when talking-- might depress it long enough to power off. :( If he gets real serious about a fix I'll be back. ;)

ricks
04-02-2008, 11:30 AM
First step on a G4 and newer would be to reset the PMU since the PMU is the controller for startup sequence.

Rick

rwm
04-02-2008, 12:28 PM
I'll have him give it a try.