PDA

View Full Version : G3 Lombard with black screen

happyhippy
03-23-2008, 08:11 PM
Hi all,
I have a friend's black lombard (G3 333mhz) that boots up and will work with an external monitor but the lombard's monitor is black. When I shine a flashlight close I can see tons of vertical and horizontal lines, and no desktop. I opened it up the bottom and checked the connections and they all seemed fine. I didn't open up the display itself tho. It also cannot hold the display up as the hinges must be worn. Would this have anything to do with the display problem?
I wondered if anyone would know if this is the back light or the screen itself or even the logic board. I have been surfing the web and haven't been able to come up with much info for troubleshooting or repairing. Any information or tips would really be appreciated as she has little money.
Thanks.......Happy

M.Brane
03-24-2008, 07:27 PM
It's possible that if the hinges are that worn the ribbon cable for the display could be shot too. It shouldn't be too difficult to find parts with a bit of searching.

happyhippy
03-25-2008, 10:24 PM
So, I guess I will try to buy a top half for the lombard. The cable looked ok--the part I could see!
I noticed you have a maxxed out pismo--I put 1G of ram and an 80G hard drive in a pismo, loaded in Tiger and gave it to my dad. He was struggling with windows, and was always asking for help and getting stuck. Now instead of asking for help he tells me how much he loves his computer!!

tachyon
03-26-2008, 08:09 PM
In my experience this was either a crushed video cable or the actual LCD panel electronics have gone faulty.
The video cable loops around the hinge and can become caught. Then opening and closing the lid will destroy the cable.
It's not immediately obvious unless you have actually disassembled the display assembly.