PDA

View Full Version : Need help with drive reconfiguration

switters
03-19-2008, 10:13 AM
Currently I have OS X, applications and user data installed on a 1.5 TB RAID 0 (750GBx2). I have a moderate number of digital images so the total amount of data is about 500 GB.

I have been uneasy about using the RAID 0 as a boot drive, so I just bought a 150 GB Raptor to use for that purpose. I'd like to move OS X and applications to that drive, and keep my user data on the RAID. Obviously I cannot simply clone my full volume to the boot drive and then remove the user accounts because my full volume (with 500 GB of data) won't fit onto the 150 GB Raptor.

I have an external 750 GB FW with a bootable clone of my full volume. I also have a Seagate 1 TB internal disk that I use for Time Machine backup. Nevertheless, I can't figure out how to utilize all of these disks to accomplish my goal of moving only OS X and applications to the 150 GB Raptor.

I'd appreciate your help!

ricks
03-19-2008, 11:00 AM
Just swap the Raptor in for the backup drive. Then use your copy program to copy everything except Users to the Raptor. Piece of cake. Most copy programs that can make a bootable backup also have the ability to select what isn't copied.

You will find things are faster with the OS off the RAID. Lots of little accesses are not a RAID0's strong suit. Data transfers are the strong suit of a RAID0. Putting the type of data on the RAID that can benefit from the RAID is the key to getting the most out of it.

Rick

switters
03-19-2008, 02:10 PM
Rick,

Thanks for your reply. So I'd assume that having the user data on the RAID would be a good use of it?

switters
03-19-2008, 02:17 PM
Oh shoot, I forgot to ask:

Wouldn't I need to copy over at least an empty user account in order for it too boot? In other words, if I only copy OS X and applications as you suggest and no users will it still boot?

Thanks again,
Chris

ricks
03-19-2008, 02:46 PM
See Drive Setup Guide (http://www.macgurus.com/productpages/guides/MoveUsers.php)

Short answer is that where the users is has nothing to do with booting, only with where the users is. I thought by the way you were talking that you had a plan that included relinking the new Users location.

Rick

switters
03-19-2008, 03:53 PM
Rick,

What an incredible guide. Thanks for providing that as a resource. I read through it and I have two questions. First, what about applications that put files in the Application Support folder? What happens in that case when third-party apps are on the users drive? As a related question, I have Adobe CS3 and MS Office installed on my boot drive; is it possible to simply "drag and drop" those apps or would I need to reinstall?

Second, I thought it was faster to have applications on a different drive than the one containing the data they access. For example, if my photos are in my pictures folder on the users, wouldn't I want Photoshop on a different drive?

rwm
03-19-2008, 04:42 PM
Second, I thought it was faster to have applications on a different drive than the one containing the data they access. For example, if my photos are in my pictures folder on the users, wouldn't I want Photoshop on a different drive?This is just a WAG. :D I suppose you could separate things and use or need 3 separate channels or ports. My guess is the difference won't be enough to justify. I see your point. The OS should get a little faster and the Apps/Data might slow a little.

switters
03-19-2008, 05:46 PM
This is just a WAG. :D I suppose you could separate things and use or need 3 separate channels or ports. My guess is the difference won't be enough to justify. I see your point. The OS should get a little faster and the Apps/Data might slow a little.

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're getting at. But I did re-read the drive set-up guide and I think I do now understand the value of having 3rd party apps on the User drive from a performance and back-up perspective - especially when images are on yet another volume.

Based on the information in the guide and in this thread, I'm now thinking of the following configuration:

Drive 1 (750 GB)
A (100 GB): OS X & Apple apps
B (600 GB): Time Machine (Drive 1A & Drive 2A only)

Drive 2 (750 GB)
A (600 GB): Users & 3rd party apps
B (100 GB): OS X back-up

Drive 3 (1 TB)
A (200 GB): Photoshop scratch
B (750 GB): Images

Drive 4 (750 GB)
Images back-up

External FW drive
Users back-up

What do you think of this set-up? I currently own all of these drives, so I'm trying to work with what I've got for now.

ricks
03-19-2008, 08:48 PM
As a rule, we never put our work files, in your case your photos, in the USers Directory. those should always be on independent drives and or storage systems and backed up religiously and independently of everything else.

You had already stated that your work files were on their own drive, so I didn't mention anything about that.

Drive 1
OS

Drive 2
Users Directory and user's applications
(yes, Photoshop can still access Applications Support on root)

Other drives for photo data and backup of photo data.

The Users Directory contains emails, odds and ends, plugins, movies - all the stuff you use a computer for when not editing client photos. The reason that is the perfect place for Photoshop and/or other flagship applications is because the User Directory shouldn't be the residence of any of your big data base files and is not otherwise being used when running those flagship applications. Your Photo library should be on its own storage. As such, the User drive is inactive except for the Applications like Photoshop, FinalCut, Lightroom, and so on. Perfect place for the application since the drive will give that application full access.

Is this the perfect setup.... not necessarily. It is one setup, based on logical needs and solutions. It maximizes access to the slowest thing on your computer, your hard drives. They are the one mechanical part that without planning will eat all that processing power while it sits waiting on data. This plan comes from years of looking for ways to maintain backups in the simplest fashion possible with the best possible performance.

The best feature of it though, is that it is a plan. ANY plan is better then none at all. And not even a good plan will survive exactly as is when it contacts individual reality. So the user needs to adjust it to fit their needs. All we can do is lay it out so you have some tools and can figure out the perfect setup for you.

I can say that I have been working on how to accomplish a safe, high performance photo editor workstation for going on 8 years now. It has morphed a bit over the years, but the basic premise has always been getting a handle on automated backups and increasing performance of storage to get the most out of the computer.

I *think* you can just copy Photoshop to the new location. I haven't tried it in that order though, been MANY years since I let Photoshop get installed in /Applications. I have copied Photoshop and all my other apps to many new homes over the years though. I haven't had to reinstall it yet. But reinstalling is no big deal if you own it. Takes just a few minutes should that be necessary.

Rick

switters
03-19-2008, 09:46 PM
Thanks again for your help, Rick. It is much appreciated, and everything you've said makes good sense.

Do you think the drive configuration I've laid out above would be a good option considering the hardware I have? At some point I hope to get an external Burly enclosure, but right now I'm on a budget after recently buying a new Mac Pro, 10 GB of RAM, etc.

switters
03-20-2008, 08:30 AM
Rick,

I have followed your drive set-up guide recommendations and have created a Symlink for the Users folder on Local, Command-dragged it to the Root drive, and then renamed it as "Users" as you suggested.

My question is, can I now delete the folder called "Users Symlink" (the one that got created when I made the Symlink) on Local, or does that need to stay there?