PDA

View Full Version : Need SATA bootable controller card

John Blake
03-11-2008, 10:13 AM
I need a two port SATA PCI-X controller card that will let me boot up from my
two bay external SATA hard drive enclosure. The card I have now will not let me boot up from a drive in that enclosure.

I have the new 8 core Mac Pro that Apple introduced in January,2008.

Thanks
John Blake

kaye
03-11-2008, 12:46 PM
John,

You need a PCIe or sometimes called PCI-Express SATA card for that Mac Pro, not a PCI-X card. k

ricks
03-11-2008, 01:25 PM
I have yet to hear of any bootable cards for the INtel Macs. The Intel Macs use EFI instead of Open Firmware. Whole new ballgame requiring a whole new set of code. We should start seeing them in the near future.. no luck so far.

Been a low priority since the MacPro has so many internal SATA slots that are bootable. One thing you can do if you are using those already is take one of the internal SATA ports that are extras and run a wire off of them to an external box. Won't be hotpluggable but would be bootable.

Rick

John Blake
03-11-2008, 02:51 PM
Kaye and Ricks, Thanks for your replies

Kaye, I typed PCI-X by mistake. I do have a PCI Express card. My blunder

Ricks All my internal Bays are full.
First drive (boot) has the system, applications, business programs, and other small files only. Takes up about 80 GB.

Second drive has my digital camera files only. I'm a professional photographer.

Third Drive is a backup to my first (boot) drive.
Fourth drive is a backup to my second drive.

One external drive is another backup to my second drive that I take home.
The second external drive was a bootable second backup to my first (boot) drive that I take home.

On second thought, I guess I really don't need the external SATA drive to be bootable. If My computer should get stolen from my office, I would still have off premises backups of all my files and programs to use in the replacement computer.

John

rwm
03-12-2008, 02:37 PM
You don't mention the size of your drives. If they are smaller... How about getting 1-2 larger drives (2X+ what your using) and partition them so that the fast/first tracks are something you use and the slower partition for data backup. You can have different or dedicated partitions for your various backups. Take a look at the attachment.

John Blake
03-17-2008, 08:19 AM
My drives are 500 and 750 GB.
I have another external hard drive enclosure that has a firewire 400 connection. I cloned my boot drive to a E-IDE hardrive in this enclosure using super duper. I can boot up with this hard drive just fine.

I forgot that one reason i want to boot up with an external hard drive is so I can run Disk Warrior on the internal drives in my desktop. i believe I need to upgrade DW from V4.0 to 4.1.

I see that there's a sticky on Disk Warrior. I'll read it over and see what I need to do.

Thanks to all who replied to my post.

John Blake

eric
03-17-2008, 01:27 PM
i believe I need to upgrade DW from V4.0 to 4.1...I see that there's a sticky on Disk Warrior.
Today may be your lucky day. Alsoft just (finally) released the 4.1 CD updater.

http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/support.html

John Blake
03-17-2008, 01:56 PM
Thanks Eric. I'll check it out.

John