PDA

View Full Version : Haven't been here in a while....trouble is:

cowboyonamac
02-29-2008, 08:59 PM
I haven't been around here in a while because my G5 iMac has been running trouble-free for quite some time, but.....(and it's a pretty big butt....uh but) I've been seeing something wierd since yesterday (Feb 28). I'll be up and running fine, and for some reason, the fan will kick up to full speed for just a second, then the cursor goes to spinning, and it goes to sleep. I can move the mouse to bring it out of sleep, and about a minute later it does it again. If I shut it down and give it about half an hour, it goes back to normal, but only for about fifteen minutes or so. I had one of the recalled power supplies in this thing and it was replaced when it 'smoked' on me about 14 months ago. It has run smoothly ever since then, but this latest bug appears to be related somehow, and the fan coming up to full would seem to indicate there is a heat issue.
Anyone else seen this? Any other ideas? Should I take it back into the Apple store?

unclemac
02-29-2008, 09:47 PM
Howdy again.

Does your G5 imac have a camera or not? It may matter as the early (no camera) and late models are quite a bit different to troubleshoot.

This (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300908) is worth checking out. PMU reset is worth doing.

Sleep could be OS related........what OS are you running?

cowboyonamac
03-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Actually, that's a very familiar step for me. Every time I run Applejack I have to do it. Whenever I boot into single user mode, the fans go to top speed and stay there until I reset the SMU. While I had the cover off last night I got out the 'canned' air and gave the entire thing a really good blasting down. The CPU fan duct had a lot of dust in it and I took about twenty minutes to clean it out thoroughly. I went through half of the can of air, before I saw no more dust coming out. I was surprised because I do this quarterly, and I've never seen this much dust in the works.
After I put it back together, and started it up, the fans weren't even audible. This was a surprise too, because they had become rather loud of late. My iStat widget shows a drop of nearly 30 degrees at the CPU.
My guess is I had too much junk in my ducts and it was causing my G5 to overheat. Time to revise the cleaning' schedule for this iMac.:)

unclemac
03-01-2008, 08:10 PM
Good work. Could have been that the dust was causing the temp to increase to the point that it was shutting down.

Dust is a good insulator.....can keep heat in.

M.Brane
03-01-2008, 09:52 PM
My G4 gets a trip out to the garage to see Mr. Air Compressor every time it's gets shut down or every 3 mos whichever comes first. If it's made it to the 3 month mark there's always a substantial amount of dust buildup.

Lately it's been more frequent due to construction activities. It's amazing just how much dust a tower can ingest. On the upside it lets me know that the fans are doing their job.

rwm
03-02-2008, 04:05 PM
Thinking about that mine is past due. :rolleyes: Better get it before it :weeskull: on me.