PDA

View Full Version : 3mb/6mb L2 cache...is it worth the money to upgrade?



momo
02-26-2008, 07:59 AM
"2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB on-chip shared L2 cache running 1:1 with processor speed; or 2.5GHz or 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 6MB L2 cache"

Apple just upgraded their MacBook Pro with the above differences in processor specs between the entry level $1999 model and the mid-range $2499 MBP...

I'm gonna buy one of these in about 6 weeks :D and would like to know if this cache difference will have a real world effect on the major programs I'll be using, Photoshop, Illustrator, Lightroom, Indesign, Toast...

not sure it matters, but eventually I'll have the MBP attached to a large monitor...also, planning on getting a burly enclosure to use via the esata connection...

thanks for helping me understand what this cache will or won't do for me...

M

momo
03-11-2008, 09:31 AM
I mean I don't feel that an extra 50gb on my hard drive and the step up from 2.4 to 2.5ghz is worth $500...

but, I am wondering if that extra 3mb of L2 cache on the 2.5 is worth the money in terms of general performance over the long term...unless I hate the MBP for some reason I'll probably keep it for at least three years and more than likely longer...hell, I've had this ol' g4 since February 2000...

m

ricks
03-11-2008, 09:42 AM
I am sure it means a few percentage points in performance.... Apple and every one else gets a premium for little stuff like that these days.

Worth it though? Depends on how much time you will spend on it. If you basically live on your MBP then get the very most CPU you can possibly afford. It will hold out longer before it is unbearably slow.

I spend almost all my time on a tower and very little mobile. I can handle being slower on the MBP and spent the money on the tower.

R

momo
03-11-2008, 10:40 AM
I am sure it means a few percentage points in performance.... Apple and every one else gets a premium for little stuff like that these days.

Worth it though? Depends on how much time you will spend on it. If you basically live on your MBP then get the very most CPU you can possibly afford. It will hold out longer before it is unbearably slow.

I spend almost all my time on a tower and very little mobile. I can handle being slower on the MBP and spent the money on the tower.

R

alright...this makes sense...I need the portable right now...it'll be my main computer, personal computer for about a year...i'll be too broke to think about a new tower for at least a year...but i may be working in-house for clients so there i'll be supplied with a computer...

maybe i can do without those few 'percentage points' for a while...just thinkin' out loud...

thanks rick...

unclemac
03-11-2008, 04:28 PM
If you are are really on a budget, you can always consider the Refurb/closeout models at the Apple store. Right now I see a previous generation 2.4 GHz 15" MBP (pretty sure it has the LED display...) for a less painfull $1899 with free shipping.....

If you like it, act quickly as these come and go, sometimes daily.

Look closely but I think the last model looks like this (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/stats/macbook-pro-core-2-duo-2.4-15-santa-rosa-specs.html), while the current model is this (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/stats/macbook-pro-core-2-duo-2.4-15-early-2008-penryn-specs.html). I see that the previous model has 4MB of Cache vs. 3MB on the current....not sure it is worth futzing over, but at first glance the previous model doesn't look $600 slower. :)

eric
03-11-2008, 05:35 PM
I've seen a couple of reports comparing the current models to the previous generation. Here are the ones that I recall:

http://www.barefeats.com/mbpp01.html

http://www.macworld.com/article/132407/2008/03/macbookprocore2duo.html

Might give you a little idea of whether it's worth paying extra for the newer model.

babbkutz
03-12-2008, 02:28 PM
try the last gen 15" 2.4's from Amazon for even less....

momo
03-14-2008, 05:18 PM
I've slowly read through the articles, specs, and it helps in the decision...probably will go for the 2.4 of the newly released MBP's...though I would order the 250gb drive which will raise the price slightly...

I've seen them on the small dogs site and buying there I wouldn't have to pay tax so it's a good deal, however...

for around 245 dollars more I can buy the 2.5 model via Amazon, have the larger drive plus the other minor upgrades once I figure in their 150 dollar rebate and free shipping...

not so attracted to the older models even though they are a very good deal for the prices now, I agree unclemac, i don't think I'd make a buying decision on the compared speeds alone...I like that the newer models are supposedly cooler running...I'd think that would add to longevity and personal comfort (i've read about people feeling the bottoms way too hot to leave on their laps), a bit longer battery life is good too...

so still a bit of a waffle on 2.4/2.5 but feel a bit better informed thanks to you guys...let's see, 245 smackers could get me a hard drive or a software upgrade...

it's late...off to bed...