PDA

View Full Version : external drive with ethernet and usb 2.0?

momo
02-13-2008, 06:21 AM
I've been looking for an external hard drive to attach to my g4 450mhz tower (yeah, it's eight years old this month). I need to download files (photographs, illustrator files, and indesign files), fonts, etc. from my computer and bring them with me to New York.

Today, I saw this iomega 500gb drive with ethernet and usb 2 and was wondering if this would work for me and how good it is to transfer files...

My concern is with getting something that will hook up to my old tower, and then I'll need to attach it to a new Macbook Pro in NY to download my files.

Good solution? Bad? It's 159 euros...

It's just the first time I see ethernet as a connect possibility...you know it's usually sata, firewire and usb...

I guess the usb 2 would be compatible with my old usb port...yes? no? but be slow as hell. Then I thought maybe cause it has ethernet that might do me good...

thanks for any advice/suggestions...

M

unclemac
02-13-2008, 07:00 PM
Why not go FW? OK, it is always more money up front compared to USB 2, but you get value for the $$.

USB 2 works OK on Intel Macs for occasional use, and is even bootable, but has limitations, overhead, and I find more mounting problems.

Don't even consider USB 1 if you have more than a few hundred MBs of data to move.

momo
02-14-2008, 12:40 AM
Why not go FW? OK, it is always more money up front compared to USB 2, but you get value for the $$.

USB 2 works OK on Intel Macs for occasional use, and is even bootable, but has limitations, overhead, and I find more mounting problems.

Don't even consider USB 1 if you have more than a few hundred MBs of data to move.

thanks unclemac...well, my old tower isn't USB 2 compatible, not sure if the external I saw would work that way, that's why the ethernet connection appeals, though it sounds old/odd in connections i'm seeing lately where everything is sata/firewire/usb2...many of the iomega drives I saw yesterday in this 'appliance' type store were USB 2 only...the store sells computer stuff but also tv's, appliances, etc...

they also had something called 'ProAgent' or something...i think made by Seagate...I've gotta go back for another look...then maybe check out the Apple store in town, see what they've got available...

I've got 200-300gb's of files to copy and bring with me so I think I'd like firewire/sata...

do you know if firewire/sata connections will work if i want to put an OS on the external drive and boot from there?...just something i've been curious about...

thanks...

unclemac
02-14-2008, 09:28 AM
Yes. Both FW and SATA are bootable.......although there are limitations with SATA based on which SATA card you use. Any modern FW drive should boot just fine on all Macs starting with late model G3s.

USB 2 is only bootable on Intel Macs. FW is the best all around choice for being bootable and interchangable with all the most Macs for a portable drive.

Have a friend with the Seagate Freeagent Pro (http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/external/freeagent_pro_data_movers/), and it has been good. No complaints, but not as rugged or sturdy as one of the Gurus all metal Burly enclosure (http://macgurus.com/productpages/firewire/U6SATA.php). Add the drive of your choice, and you have a solid setup. Get a second tray or two, plus a couple more drives, and you can easily maintain a few levels of backups too. Not quite as sexy, but a solid, reliable, and good looking solution.

Also nice that you do have both USB and FW options; the seagate I linked to actually has three ports (FW, SATA and USB), but once you buy it you find out that the ports are on interchangable cards, which you have to swap before you can change cables. It works, but kind of a PITA.

One thing I don't like about the Seagate - and lots of other enclosures out there - is that it stands up vertical. I guess the design is attractive, and takes less desktop space, but I just don't like the idea of being able to knock over a running drive. That can be catastrophic, but even if you don't suffer immediate failure, your drive's life will be shortened. Check out what Seagate says (http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=Online_Resource_Center_outline_-_Now_That_You_Have_A_New_Drive&vgnextoid=ee9a51bac4cec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD )....

momo
02-14-2008, 10:06 AM
thanks again unclemac...this helps with my decisions...and the seagate link on their delicate hard drives and how they work was good to see...found a few other options to consider today as well...

actually, I'm going to buy this external drive to move my files from my computer here in France to a new computer in NY this April...you couldn't have known that, i just updated my profile to include where i live...

and if that weren't enough :) i've already emailed rick with questions about a burly drive, must've been a month ago or longer...i've done my research, have one more question for him before ordering, but if all goes as planned i'll be ordering a burly enclosure for 5 drives + hard drives in late March or early April :D

wish rick had a macgurus annex here in France...

thanks again for all your help...kind regards

M

unclemac
02-14-2008, 10:58 AM
Happy to help.

Oh, and to be clear, nothing against Seagate drives. Actually like them quite a lot. Their info about how fragile drives are applies to all drives, regardless of brand.

The stand up design is OK I guess, if you don't have kids, pets, clumsy friends, earthquakes......or valuable data. :rolleyes: