PDA

View Full Version : 8 core mac pros and leopard

kav
02-05-2008, 04:59 PM
Has anyone had any real world experience with the 8 core machines doing actual work as opposed to just benchmarking in photoshop? I'm trying to find out if they're more responsive than the G5's with normal actions and everything overall. Also I'm trying to figure out if the virtual memory buffering issue was ever fixed, as I'm trying to determine whether to buy an 8 core machine, stay with a dualcore 2.0 G5 as is, or upgrade RAM from 4.5 gigs to 8 on the G5 to make real use of virtual memory buffering (which it still seems to do just a little more than if it's fully disabled).

I normally work on files that start off at 180-220 MB flat, and go up to at times a little over a gig but usually max out around 800 megs @16 bits/channel with layers included.

Current Machine is a Dualcore 2.0 G5 4.5 gigs of RAM, WD Raptor boot drive and Seagate 7200.11 500 GB scratch drive with storage being on single volume Seagate 7200.10 drives.

Clearly I'm shy on RAM at the moment, but I'm trying to figure out if a new machine would be better or if it makes sense to upgrade RAM and wait for CS4. Any thoughts from anyone?

speters1
02-06-2008, 03:18 AM
If your files aren't usually over 1gb then I don't think that you need an 8-core. I would get a refurb 3.0 quad core and load it up with ram. I have a 3.0 8 core with 12gb ram. Before that I had a quad 2.5, non intel, and to be honest I don't find that the 8 core is that amazingly much faster. Don't get me wrong, it is faster, but considering that the quad I have is a non intel, I was hoping that I would have been blown away. I work on files over 2gb on a regular basis and have my own retouching studio. So for me even a 10% increase is worth the money.