PDA

View Full Version : Physical Drive Arrangement in Burly Encl.

digipix
01-30-2008, 06:23 AM
I'll preface what I am going to ask by saying, "This may sound like a stupid question .... but."

With the 4 & 5 bay Burly enclosures, how do I know what the physical drive order is? Are the drives numbered 1-4 from top to bottom in the bay or is it dependent on how I name them? Maybe I am missing something but I do need to start pulling specific drives and take them to another location for downloading and then returning to my main Burly enclosure.

Is it by process of elimination? The lights on the front of the individual drives don't seem to indicate very much with respect to activity status and such.

Thanks in advance for your reply,

Chris

ricks
01-30-2008, 09:00 AM
The lights can do the job, you just have to make a fairly big access on the drives one at a time to see them do their thing.

But the easiest way is to physically label the drives. Start out with all the drives dismounted from the computer. Then pull all of them out a 1/2 inch. Insert them one at a time and watch what pops up. Label them. Done.

Rick

digipix
01-30-2008, 09:07 AM
I did the ol' process of elimination and it works fine. Thanks for your suggestion and confirmation of what I did to sort them out.

Another question, I am using the 5 Bay Burly at home with a G4 laptop with the PCMCIA card eSATA and at least one of the drives is pokey i.e. slow to mount. I do a System Profiler and it is there but it is slow to mount like the rest.

I did zero all drives per your suggestions.

Thanks,

Chris

ricks
01-30-2008, 09:49 AM
New drive? Empty or full drive? Same drive as all the others?

May just be a system slowness, sounds like it since it shows up same as the others, just mounts slower. Only thing I can think of is try the drives one at a time and see if they all act the same. Move that drive to a different bay and try all of them at the same time again, see if the issue follows the drive or stays with the bay. That kind of thing.

Rick