PDA

View Full Version : Another New Mac Pro Hard Drive Question

rpjallan
01-20-2008, 09:06 PM
Hi Gurus

I didn't want to hijack someone else's thread so I've started a new one for a pretty simple question really.

I ordered a new Mac Pro last week. I ordered it with the GeForce 8800 so I won't have it for a couple of weeks yet. Currently I have a dual core G5 with two 500GB drives - one with a 160GB partition for System and Apps and the other partition for 'cold storage'. The other drive for Users. I have found with Photoshop Test that scratch is best pointed to the startup drive in this configuration. I am pretty happy with Photoshop performance except for opening and saving files.

I have another two identical drives so the Mac Pro will be fitted with four 500GB drives initially. After reading a lot of the other great threads on here I have decided to configure it like so:

Drive 1 - Same as the G5 - a 160GB partition for System and Apps. The other partition for backup.

Drive 2 - 100GB partition for Photoshop scratch. The other partition for backup.

Drives 3 & 4 - RAID 0 for users.

I will have three external drives (including the one that comes in the Mac Pro) for backup. So that is not a problem.

The question I have is: Is it worthwhile to partition drives 3 & 4 to use the first partitions for the RAID to speed it up a bit more? The partitions would have to be more than half the size of the drives to give me enough storage space. Or am I better off to just RAID the whole drives together and be done with it?

marrand
01-21-2008, 11:40 AM
rpjallan,

Seems I had similar questions about the new G5 I plan to buy soon. I have been following guru's advice, and have noted that the gurus like RAID 0 on 3 & 4 and they use it for photoshop scratch as well.

My biggest puzzlement is User's Library - I thought it has to be on the boot up volume. I understand why all other files and documents created by the user should be on different drive. (At least, I THINK I understand!...not sure).

marrand

Damien
01-21-2008, 12:11 PM
The entire users folder can be moved off the boot drive including all the individual user folders and the library folders within

However on the boot drive there is a Library folder that is NOT inside the Users folder... this Library folder should stay on the boot drive