PDA

View Full Version : Boot Camp & viruses

bigfrog
01-19-2008, 09:19 AM
If someone runs Win XP using Boot Camp on their Leopard/Intel Mac, are they prey to all the usual Windoze virus/security problems?

Also, what about Parallels Desktop - the same?

Are these both methods of running Windoze 'under' OS X (as an emulator) or does the rest of the world just see the Mac as another XP machine, waiting to be tampered with?

BF

eric
01-19-2008, 09:54 AM
I believe the answer is yes in both cases when you allow allow XP a network connection be in Boot Camp or in virtualization (Parallels or Fusion).

There may be some slight differences with virtualization since you can effectively deny XP any network connection. And there are different ways for how you allow XP to access the network connection -- but I think you're still at risk no matter how you do it particularly once you hit the internet.

So better safe than sorrry -- install virus protection in XP. That's what I'm doing on my MBP which typically sees XP with VMWare's Fusion -- although it's using the virus protection which came free with Parallels. I switched from Parallels to Fusion. I figured I'd might as well get something for the money I spent on Parallels.

bigfrog
01-19-2008, 02:02 PM
Thanks eric.

Why did you switch from Parallels to Fusion, BTW?

BF

eric
01-19-2008, 02:27 PM
Why did you switch from Parallels to Fusion, BTW?Less CPU and memory load with Fusion; for me much more stable. Bad day with MS Update under Parallels broke the camel's back -- hosed the Boot Camp partition for virtualization; see here:

http://www.macgurus.com/forums/showpost.php?p=112305&postcount=26

Haven't had a problem since the switch to Fusion -- that post was in September. Don't know how many Windows updates I've done -- all without issue.

There are some glitches here and there for me with Fusion still, but in all a much better experience overall.

unclemac
01-19-2008, 03:02 PM
If someone runs Win XP using Boot Camp on their Leopard/Intel Mac, are they prey to all the usual Windoze virus/security problems?

Also, what about Parallels Desktop - the same?

Are these both methods of running Windoze 'under' OS X (as an emulator) or does the rest of the world just see the Mac as another XP machine, waiting to be tampered with?

BF

As Eric said, XP is XP......no less (or more) vulnerable when it is running on a virtual machine. Do your basic XP security and you should be fine.

One nice thing about being virtualized though, is that should your Win OS become infected, damaged, whatever.....it is only a folder on your Mac. Generally speaking, it will have on affect on the host Mac OS. And with the ability to make portable snapshots of the virtualized OS, you can get it installed, config'd, and dialed-in, and then make take an image to store. Should disaster strike, you can restore the image, and be back where you left off.