PDA

View Full Version : MS Word - need 1/2, 1/4 symbols

bigfrog
01-17-2008, 01:05 PM
How do I get the "1/2", "1/4" and various other symbols in MS Word? I am running Word 2001 under Classic/OS 9. When I go to Insert > Symbol I can't see many of the symbols normally available under XP.

Also, my sister has just bought a new MacBook, and is using the 30-day try-out version of Word that's bundled with 10.5.x - she can't see these symbols either.

Is this just a simple font thing?

BF

ricks
01-17-2008, 01:57 PM
I think they have an accessory package that retails for $50. They give you the fractions as part of the package for free.

M$ is our friend.

sorry, can't help myself sometimes. http://emoticons4u.com/evil/229.gif

bigfrog
01-17-2008, 02:00 PM
Great - I'm sure Mr Gates really needs that $50!

BF

eric
01-17-2008, 02:05 PM
I don't think there are keystoke shortcut for those fractions. But they're builtin glyphs in a lot of fonts -- I see them for instance for Times Roman, Lucida Grande, etc.

I can't remember OS 9.x, but in OS X there's the built-in (..to OS X) character palette. You'll find the fractions under:
Symbols: Numbers and Number Symbols
Search Mac Help for 'character palette' for details about how to render it visible in OS X. That will help your sister...

I think there maybe something similar in OS 9, try searching Help in OS 9.x for character palette.

If memory serves in 9.x Word, there was a similar character palette built in Word. May have been killed off in OS X. But I just do not recal. (maybe confusing Word with WordPerfect.)

eric
01-17-2008, 02:12 PM
Something simpler for now...want to try copying and pasting the following....

bigfrog
01-17-2008, 03:50 PM
Thanks eric,

The character palette thing seems to work nicely with TextEdit on OS X (that's all I have to hand just now). We'll give it a go on Word later.

The copy-and-paste also works on OS X, but I can't make it happen on OS 9. Not to worry - that's much less important just now.

Cheers, BF