PDA

View Full Version : RAID best for HDV video project?

thesoccerproject
01-07-2008, 03:04 PM
Looking to have three editors working simultaneously on a 30 minute doc video on Final Cut 6 (Mac G5s). We will be working with about 70 hours of footage, most likely converted from HDV to Apple Intermediate Codec or ProRes 422 (i.e. more more disk space). 70 hours in AIC takes about 3 TB, ProsRes about 5 TB. The hours are going to be evenly distributed to each editor...so I was thinking three hard drives directly attached at each workstation with 1 TB, or 2 TB (depending whether we decide AIC or ProRES), Firewire 800. Memory numbers aside...we need fast, good performance, and are interested in RAID 1 for the automatic back up. Advice?

thesoccerproject
01-07-2008, 03:06 PM
by three hard drives i meant, one hard drive at each station.

ricks
01-07-2008, 04:56 PM
After a fairly in depth phone call, I figured I would state the conclusions, just so others could comment.

You can choose either eSATA or Firewire. My preference is for eSATA since it is simpler, more reliable by virtue of that simplicity and faster. Your needs don't really need an incredible amount of speed, you will need some space though.

Suggestion was that you choose a 4 or 5 bay. 2 or 3 drives for the raw data. a matched pair of work drives for the project files as it gets edited. One of the drives backed up to the other.

Don't use RAID mirroring for a backup. Use software like SuperDuper or SyncronizeX. Either will maintain an isolated backup which a mirror cannot do. Problem with a mirror is if you damage the data on one drive you instantly copy the damage to the mirror.

We'll get a plan together and get you set up.

Rick