PDA

View Full Version : B/W G3 won't boot from dvd or external drive

spacecapsule1
01-07-2008, 12:31 PM
I have a b/w g3 with g4 upgrade.

it will not boot from firewire ipod even though i can select it as the boot drive from startup disk prefs.

I just tried booting from the ipod on my PBG4 and it worked perfectly, but it won't on my g3.

my Pioneer 107d dvr drive won't boot the OSX(retail) 10.5 dvd. Once booted, It will read the dvd normally it just won't boot from it even if I select the OS disk as the startup disc......

Any ideas?

M.Brane
01-07-2008, 06:44 PM
B&W cannot boot from FireWire, and is not supported with 10.5. Even though you have G4 chip in there it may still be seeing the boot ROM as unsupported. I know those machines need a firmware "patch" to run a G4 chip. Could be that the installer is choking on that. You could try installing on another Mac, and moving the drive to the B&W.

If it were me I'd probably just leave it with Tiger. I have 10.4.8 on my B&W, but I use it primarily in 9.

spacecapsule1
01-08-2008, 11:24 AM
I copied the 10.5 dvd onto my firewire ipod and tried to boot from it using my PBG4 which has 10.5 installed already. It worked perfectly, so you can boot from a firewire drive using 10.5.

I can't get the actual install disk to boot on my b/w though. Any ideas why it won't boot from the dvr drive i have installed? It's the apple supported pioneer superdrive model 107d.

Thanks,
Jason

ricks
01-08-2008, 12:05 PM
Ah,

Like M.Brane said:

1) B&W is incapable of booting from a Firewire device. This is a limitation on that motherboard. The motherboard does not have the capability to look at firewire devices during boot.

2) 10.5 is not supported by Apple on the B&W. You will have to hack the installer or install the OS on the G4 and then transfer the drive back to the B&W to get it to run.

Rick