PDA

View Full Version : Need a new scanner

thewez
01-04-2008, 02:14 AM
hey all, long time no post, hope you're all well...

so i haven't used my trusty old HP scanjet in a couple of years, i pull it out to find that i can't get drivers for OSX (HP still supporting it on Vista though, grrrrrrrrr....)

anyway, i needs a new one and just wanted to know which brand was favoured by the mac community these days (and i'm sure it will be either canon, epson or HP unless i've missed something). i haven't used a scanner since OS9 days, and it was always a bit of a lottery as to which ones would play nice with the mac. i would hope things are much better these days but i still thought i would ask you guys (cause you're great ;-)

looking at $200-300, higher end of consumer level i guess. i have a big project of archiving old family photos waiting to do, and i only want to do it once, so i'll be going fairly hi-res.

setup is G5 1.6ghz, 10.4.9, will be using photoshop CS.

all help and (first-hand) opinions greatly appreciated!

cheers, wez

Damien
01-04-2008, 04:07 AM
I always liked Lexmark but I am not sure my opinion should count because I consider scanners a somewhat necessary evil. ;)

Now that USB, USB2 and Firewire scanners are commonplace scanner support for the mac is much better than it was in the bad old days of scsi scanners.

MistyBreeze
01-04-2008, 06:38 AM
As a Mac user, I wouldn't touch Lexmark with a ten-foot pole. They made a shift in Mac support years ago around the time they farmed customer service out to India. I had new Lexmark lasers and suddenly couldn't use them with Tiger. And the company line: "No Mac OS driver upgrades are forthcoming." It was a nightmare. You should see that letter I wrote to their CEO. Lexmark is a company permanently off my list.

For flatbed, the industry darlings seem to be Epson's V700 and V750, especially among quasi-professional photographers due to their d-max values. There's plenty of web user-feedback on both. They may be above your budget, though.

rwm
01-04-2008, 12:57 PM
I have and used a Lexmark printer for about 4 years or since my OS 9 days. I have used it with every 10.x OS and currently 10.4.10 it is a laser E320. Never had a problem.

No first hand experience with a scanner.

thewez
01-04-2008, 05:16 PM
i've been using a lexmark optra E312 laser for years, it's been great.

i don't think lexmark markets dedicated scanners here in australia anyway, so i'm sure it will be canon, epson or hp.

yeah those higher end epsons are probably a bit expensive but maybe a V200/250/300... any comments on driver/software performance and general epson/mac vibes?

as an aside... are there any print/copy/scan units that have better than average scanning performance (4800 x 9600 dpi, good speed etc)? i've avoided multifunctions in the past but space is always an issue.

wez

Nicolas
01-04-2008, 07:40 PM
Depends on what are your needs?

1. A scanner for mostly redigitizing documents?

2. A scanner for scanning photos and dias?

For both Epson, HP and Canon is the way to go because Microteks are costly if u don't use them professionally.

Regards

Nicolas

thewez
01-04-2008, 10:18 PM
mostly for photos... like everyone else, i've got a "must get around to archiving the old family photo albums" project that i am finally getting around to tackling. it's the sort of one-off project that will probably make more sense if i spend a bit more initially, then sell the scanner once i'm done, as otherwise i really don't have much use for one these days.

i'm leaning towards the canon 8800F at the moment, or the cheaper 600F. the 8800F uses newer LED technology which seems to be getting good raps. and i've had pretty good results with canon software in the past (printers, cameras etc), although mac drivers and bundled apps to this day still seem like afterthoughts... better than they used to be but often buggy and awkward.

kaye
01-05-2008, 09:18 AM
I have used a Canon 8400F for several years now. Works just fine up to Tiger 10.4.11. Does not work in Leopard but Canon has a new app and driver to make it work. Anyway, I have been very pleased with the 8400F but will have to see how well it works in Leopard. k

Nicolas
01-05-2008, 11:59 AM
For semi pro the Epson 750Pro with Monaco EZ color and Silverfast in the package is darn good but costly $900 or so.

The Canon 8800F or the Epson Perfection 4490 or V500 looks good.

billybobski
03-07-2008, 09:33 AM
Hello Wez.

Running Canon Pixma MP800 - it's a multi-purpose machine, doing photocopying, printing and scanning.

Scans are okay. Not professional print quality, but more than good enough for archiving family photographs and so on. (And as a photocopier and printer, it's v.good).

Probably superceded by now, but similar machines in the UK go for about 130 (double it for USdollars).

Two other links which might help:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1017

is a pro/semi-pro photographers' site, with sections on printers and scanners.

http://sillydog.org/forum/

is an Oz based site, mainly about Mozilla etc., but has a Mac section, and scanners etc. are discussed.
(Might even tell you which shop to use).

Allen, London.

cowboyonamac
03-07-2008, 12:30 PM
I bought a CanoScan LIDE 20 for a whopping $30 from my local Mac Shop, and it performed like a champ for three years. Excellent for scanning right into PhotoShop too. I recently replaced it with a CanoScan 4400F because I'm scanning about 1400 slides that I got from my grandparents, or I'd still be using it today. Remarkably I sold it for $25 three years after I bought it.

thewez
03-07-2008, 06:53 PM
hey thanks... i've pretty much decided on the epson 4490 (or better). i haven't had time to tackle the job yet, but i've decided to do it properly, as i only want to do it ONCE! so i'll be spending a bit more than previously planned.

thanks again for all your suggestions,

cheers, wez

rwm
03-07-2008, 08:16 PM
wez
I like your Avartar. :cool: