PDA

View Full Version : Seagate 1TB in imac

Greentree_uk
12-16-2007, 07:45 AM
Just installed a 1TB into my new 2.4ghz imac. benching at 104MB/Sec read and write. I saw the barefeats article on speed comparisons and had to get one of these babies. all I'll say is remember the jumper..... DOH! These things are FAST. period.

unclemac
12-16-2007, 11:49 AM
Good to know.

Jumpers on SATA.......it is just not right.

Years ago, when swapping drives in about 50 imacs, I got to the point that I would boot the things before reassembling, just to be sure about jumpers, having a valid image, making sure all cabling was correct, etc.

How much fun is the Alumimac dissection?

Greentree_uk
12-18-2007, 01:35 PM
Installed ok. I'm a mac tech so install is easy. biggest problem is getting rid of the dust. we have stuff for that. it's amazing how much dust is just floating around. all was benching ok but it seems I got a dud drive. so after a weekends troubleshooting I figured the drive is naffed. even confirmed by install into another imac at home. and then into a mac pro at work. so had to order another one to get in time for christmas whilst the other is going thru rma process. I think these drives have some deep recovery mode and that's what was happening to me. machine locked up but would continue after 5 mins or so. i wouldn't mind but mid way thru weekend I managed to copy all 500gb of data off an old drive onto it for the second time... I also learned that firewire 800 on imacs is not that fast. only getting a sustained 36MB/Sec transfer. tho whilst hunting down my problems I also found out fw800 might not be so great on the imacs as it is a shared bus with the 400. I've realised also there's only so much one tech can know! I actually knew these machines better when I wasn't one!

rwm
12-18-2007, 04:19 PM
I also learned that firewire 800 on imacs is not that fast. only getting a sustained 36MB/Sec transfer. tho whilst hunting down my problems I also found out fw800 might not be so great on the imacs as it is a shared bus with the 400.Darn, that was a nice feature. It's still probably my next step.