PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Pro + Burly enclosure...

momo
12-07-2007, 09:24 AM
to replace my eight year old g4 450mhz tower...i currently have 4 disks in the tower for files, applications, scratch, backup...

Work is basically graphic design and photography using Photoshop, indesign, illustrator and soon, maybe, LightRoom...biggest files are about 100mb now, maybe 120 with layers etc...this might go up a bit as I'll soon be buying a new camera with 12+ mp...

occasionally i'll duplicate a dvd i've bought for safekeeping (4 or 5 a year)...rip a video_ts folder and use toast to make a dvd (take hours to burn the dvd these days on the g4)...

So, do you guys/gals think I'd do ok with this setup?...I'm thinking of the Burly with either four or five bays...debating between 500gb drives and the smaller 320's (it make me a bit nervous storing so much on one disk...and i'd get the sonnet tempo express card for the portable...

was thinking to set it up just like my tower...with separate disks for files, backup scratch and keep one disk in the bay as pure backup for files i want to safeguard and replace it once it's near full with a new one...

I'd max the ram in the portable and i'll have a 23" screen at home to do my real photoshop editing on...

will this work?...any problems i'm not seeing?...thanks for any help/advice...because of work coming up where i'll need to be mobile i'm thinking of this solution...perhaps down the road, a year or so, i'd buy a tower again for the work area...

kind regards

Morris

ricks
12-07-2007, 09:49 AM
Lots of MacBookPro users doing just that. BTW, the Sonnet card and the Lycom are identical. Lycom makes the Sonnet one. Sonnet relabels it. What you get with Sonnet is their support though.

The setup will serve well.

Rick

momo
12-08-2007, 09:58 AM
I didn't see the Lycom card...and it's a lot less money...

M

Lots of MacBookPro users doing just that. BTW, the Sonnet card and the Lycom are identical. Lycom makes the Sonnet one. Sonnet relabels it. What you get with Sonnet is their support though.

The setup will serve well.

Rick