PDA

View Full Version : SATA Ports on Mac Pro Logic Board?

Stephen Clark
12-06-2007, 01:44 PM
I keep reading about two extra SATA ports on a Mac Pro's logic board, behind the optical drive(s).

How are folks accessing those? Are there instructions posted somewhere for reference?

ricks
12-06-2007, 02:38 PM
What do you want to use them for? If you want to take those ports external and add more storage I would advise you just get an inexpensive host card. A 2 port card costs a little over $50 and is worth it for the features like hotplugging, hotswap and port multiplier. To mount a drive to one of the internal ports you have to reboot each time. Maybe not a terrible inconvenience, but not all that great for an external purpose either.

Those 2 ports appear to be intended to support a pair of optical drives internally - if one desires to use SATA DVD burners. I have a SATA DVD drive attached to one on my MacPro and even the eject buttons work for it.

I would not advise anyone add more than the 4 hard drives that Apple engineered for inside a MacPro. Temperature variations on drives - even in the 4 slots provided - are not optimum. Adding more than that is a good way to cook components.

Rick