PDA

View Full Version : SATA Make Sense for a Quicksilver?

videomatt
11-28-2007, 12:56 PM
I may be putting my ignorance on display here for all the macgugrus to see, but here goes:

Can a G4 mac with a 133MHz system bus really take advantage of the speed of SATA drives? -- Matt

rwm
11-28-2007, 01:39 PM
In non technical terms... Your stock ATA/66 hard drive bus can only swallow maybe 60 MB/sec reads/writes with all it's other processes.

If you toss an SATA host card in there you can take advantage (via PCI slot) all of a drives maximum reads/writes which are now up over 70's+ or your computers ATA/66 (especially a 10K Raptor) and in a RAID situation much more. :dance:

I have a QS and DA and love my 10K Raptor and Seritek/1S2 and it has a noticeable and measurable difference it is faster than the stock ATA/66.

unclemac
11-28-2007, 02:21 PM
....and the other nice things are:

- By-passing the older 128GB limit.

- Adding (at least) 2 more drives with their own buses.

- Adding huge/fast external storage with eSATA.

- Using the newest, fastest, coolest running, SATA drives. PATA and SATA drives used to be essentially identical outside of the cable interface.....but PATA is on the way out now, with fewer drive models available. I expect the gap to widen in the next year, an PATA will be relegated to old "legacy" machines and bottom of the barrel stuff.

- Much easier cabling.

- Drives you buy now can be used in all the latest hardware

The only real limitation I can think of is that if you want to take you oldest SATA drive and drop in a FW enclosure when you upgrade next year to a current SATA drive, you will need a FW enclosure that can takes SATA drives. Most older ones (and many current ones available today) still use the PATA interface.

videomatt
11-29-2007, 08:39 AM
Your stock ATA/66 hard drive bus can only swallow maybe 60 MB/sec reads/writes with all it's other processes.

If you toss an SATA host card in there you can take advantage (via PCI slot) all of a drives maximum reads/writes which are now up over 70's+ or your computers ATA/66 (especially a 10K Raptor) and in a RAID situation much more. :dance:

I didn't quite understand the specifics of what you were trying to say here. If the ATA/66 bus can handle about 60mb/sec, what is the equivalent for a SATA set-up?

rwm
11-29-2007, 11:45 AM
Someone might correct me here but I think around 150 MB/sec per channel but I see in advertising it bursts/spikes to 300 MB/sec.

You would be limited by the amount of data flowing through the PCI Bus which is escaping me now for the QS and DA's. If you just had a hard drive then you have nothing much to bottle neck. But if all your PCI slots were full and in use you could exceed the total limits of the PCI Bus. Drive setups in the 150/200 MB/sec are common for a lot people.

This is also a little different because the stock drive is an ATA drive something on a PCI card or it's Bus will be newer SATA technology and a little faster in general.

Like Unclemac mentioned too... the stock ATA/66 interface can not take/use larger drives.