PDA

View Full Version : Smokin Hardware RAID

ricks
11-27-2007, 03:42 PM
Got some pretty nice preliminary results from testing a new Hardware RAID card for the Mac (and PCs) from Areca. How is 700 MB/sec read and write from a RAID5 sound?

At this point we are in test stage to se how well the utility works, how solid the processor is. How fast it is. Whether it hits the computer CPU during any of the operations. How well does it run while doing a rebuild, and so on....

8 of the new Seagate 7200.11 drives right around 700 MB/sec is, well, way WAY above anything we were actually expecting. Virtually zero overhead on the system CPU. I'll post some graphs of the performance as the drives fill up. Soon.

The Areca card can do RAID6, RAID 5 and all the sundry 0 and 1 combinations. Comes in 4 or 8 drive models, and larger yet. The larger versions are all internal port, so we haven't started a close look at how to implement those yet. the 4 and 8 drive cards use a multilane cable and can attach directly to our Burly enclosures. This should be a nice combination for video, photo and business data storage. We can run towers or rack mount, 4 or 8 drives.

Rick

unclemac
11-27-2007, 05:37 PM
Me likey.....:dance:

Nicolas
11-27-2007, 06:24 PM
Arc-1680? :D

ricks
11-27-2007, 07:04 PM
It's the brand new ARC-1221. New Intel IOP341 chipset. Pretty amazing board. I believe the 1680 is a SAS card, this one is SATA. We have to wring it out a little to find out if it breaks and recovers well. I know we can break it, the question is can we get it back running afterwards.

Rick

Nicolas
11-27-2007, 08:08 PM
I know we can break it, the question is can we get it back running afterwards.

:D:D:D

unclemac
12-18-2007, 01:03 AM
Anything new to report? :)

Any chance this thing is bootable on Macs. I know, I know........but I have to ask.

ricks
12-18-2007, 09:28 AM
Unc, we are still hard at it.

We are trying to figure out how to configure in deep bios so we don't get regular hesitations on transfers. Something in caching, or drive checks, who knows. But regular as clockwork the data transfers will drop down to near nothing for just a fraction of a second and then ramp immediately back up to 5 or 6 hundred MB/sec. For anything except audio and video it won't matter a lick, but most of the customer base for this will be working in uncompressed high def video. If we cannot resolve the little hiccup we won't have a viable product. Pretty deep stuff with lots of consulting with the engineers.

The configuration has to be done on a PC, once we get it licked there we are hoping it will resolve it on the Mac as well. Won't know if the configurations stick until we find the right combination on the PC and then try the setup on the Mac. LOTS of variable we are working with here. So many setting combinations that it scrambles out brains trying to figure out how they relate to each other..

Other than that, pretty nice stuff. I do not expect it to be bootable, ever. Most of these companies don't have the wish or the where with all to make them bootable.

Rick

Nicolas
12-19-2007, 01:55 AM
Could be renegotiation of the card to the bus, had that on a few other cards as well. Did you fix the the PCIe Link speed/Lanes?

Another thing could be the drives doing some checking on their own so it don't has to be a issue of the card?

Regards

Nicolas