PDA

View Full Version : Performance w/ Aperture and Photoshop

fagundo
11-18-2007, 09:27 AM
I use Photoshop CS3 and Aperture constantly but do not know much about how to configure my HDs. I need to use these applications simultaneously. I have 4 GB of RAM on my MP, and I have the 250 GB HD it came with plus another 500GB HD (apple) that I just bought. I also have an external 250 LaCie drive.
From reading your helpful articles, I assume that I should use the 250 HD as the Photoshop Scratch disk and nothing else. I should have all my image files and applications running from the 500 GB (since it has more space and I am already consuming 250 Gbs) The start up disk should be the 500 Gb as well? And then use the external for back-up of my Aperture Library.
Am I right with all of this? Is there a better way? Thanks for the help.

ricks
11-18-2007, 10:38 AM
Welcome to MacGurus.

I am not sure I would use one of your 2 internal drives for scratch. More likely I would keep data on one of the internal drives and let the other be Applications and OS drive. The OS drive would then also serve as scratch until such a time as you have a third drive available.

The LaCie is not a useful drive for continuous operation. With the poor cooling and power supplied to LaCie boxes they are not much good for other than a backup drive which gets powered up, backed up to and then powered down. And you need a backup drive, so that doesn't take it out of the mix. Just never count on a LaCie for much and you will be fine.

Others may weigh in with ideas on your setup, but with 2 drives I wouldn't be designating one for scratch only, that puts all the slowdown on the other drive. When you get to where you can add in another drive then you would be in a better position to have a dedicated scratch drive.

Rick

fagundo
11-20-2007, 06:40 PM
Thank you so much for your help, Ricks. I set it up your way and it is running better already.

ricks
11-20-2007, 07:41 PM
My pleasure. Come on back sometime.

Rick

unclemac
11-20-2007, 09:49 PM
And don't forget how easy it is at add a third drive to your MacPro. A current, fast drive for dedicated scratch might be your next step.

Rick has documented some really great speeds with the new Seagate 7200.11, or the current WD raptors are generally highly regarded. There are other fast/current drives too, and Apple is rarely the best place to get the fastest (or best price) on hard drives or RAM

Welcome aboard!