PDA

View Full Version : Setting Up a Photo Database Guide

ricks
11-04-2007, 08:04 PM
Finished up a basic hardware/backup guide for photo storage (http://www.macgurus.com/productpages/guides/PhotoStorage.php). Your thoughts, flames and approvals appreciated.

Rick

unclemac
11-04-2007, 08:44 PM
You have been a busy boy. I only skimmed it, but looks really good. Everything one needs, nothing else.

Two thumbs up.

Hope to read through it slowly at some point to proof for typos or awkward phrasing.

ricks
11-04-2007, 09:10 PM
Hope to read through it slowly at some point to proof for typos or awkward phrasing.

Who me? He he, danger of writing techie stuff in english. Mangling a sentence is pretty easy. Thanks for the help.

R

kaye
11-05-2007, 02:44 AM
I looked it over pretty carefully including the links. Looks great to me. k

ftonelli
11-20-2007, 12:37 PM
Hi Rick,

Very interesting reading. Thank you!

I am currently working with a MacPro with 8GB RAM with OS and Users on two separate drives and the only RAID0 I have is for PS CS3 scratch Disc.
I have two Burlies. 1 4 bays and 1 8 bays.
I archive and back up all my images on 3 individual drives, 2 at the studio and 1 off set.

I am tempted by having a 4 drive RAID0 for my work files backed up to a single 1TB drive for safety. My need is to have fastest response when processing the images from the latest shoot, in 16bits and layers. But then when I back them up or archive them I don't mind if instead of a 1 hour backup I get a 2 hour back up. I do that in idle time or at night anyway.

The only thing I am not sure, before setting up a 4 disc RAID0 work disc on my existing 4 bay Burly, is how would I set up OS and Users.

Would it still make sense to keep them separate or, would I rather keep them together, maybe on another 2 drive RAID0?

Any thoughts would be very welcome.

Thanks,

Francesco

ricks
11-20-2007, 01:10 PM
Francesco,

I didn't change my OS drive - Users drive at all. They are still 2 of the internal drives. We just don't put data files on Users. Your setup is fine, build your 4 drive RAID and put all your data files on it. Then run the backup to another 1 TB drive. Users holds all the other stuff, not really even being used during Photoshop unless you are like me and put all your Applications on the USer drive.

Rick

ftonelli
11-20-2007, 01:51 PM
Thank Rick!

Yes I am like you and put all my apps in the Users drive.

I will give a try to this set up soon, but strangely enough when I tryed a similar set up (OS and Usersa on separate drives + moving working files on a separate drive, only 2 drive RAID0 instead of 4) I did not record any significant improvement running Photoshop Test.

I will try again and see if it is worth it.

Francesco

ricks
11-20-2007, 03:02 PM
Francesco

The RAID0 for working drives should improve performance a bit when opening and saving files. But in most operations of Photoshop test you are testing the ability to manipulate files, not save them.

The main reason to separate Users, OS and Data is to protect the data and have an easy to backup, secure and segregated system. Moving Users makes the OS drive disposable. Well, at least it make the OS installation itself disposable.

The performance gains from this are not much in Photoshop since filters, resizes and other major tasks are more dependent on RAM speed and processing. Any place where faster storage speed can give an advantage will show improvements. You just can't look at the apple tree for improvements while you are putting all the fertilizer under the orange tree. Look for improvements in save times and open times.

If you have a fast enough work file disk then you will see performance being improved from there. A 2 drive RAID0 that is over half full will feel pretty much exactly like a single near empty drive. It sometimes can take some larger quantities of component disks to show monster improvements from a simple RAID0 as a work file location.

Rick

ftonelli
11-20-2007, 03:17 PM
What you say makes sense Rick.

Thanks for explaining.

Francesco