PDA

View Full Version : Backup Strategies

beyoyo
11-01-2007, 04:18 PM
I'm a noob at this whole RAID thing. I have a Burley 4 bay and my top 2 drives are mirrored and acting as my FileServer for my studio. I just bought 2 more drives for the bottom 2 bays and have those all formated and ready to go.
Now What?
I would like to have a backup of all the files on the top 2 drives. I figured I could use Drive 3 to do that and then have a 4th drive to use as extra storage. (TimeMachine backup for my G5 or something.)

Is this a bad idea?
Should I make a RAID out of the bottom two drives and back up the top two to that?
What software do you use to back up a mirrored RAID?
I've been poking around the Forums, but I can't seem to find an answer.

Thanks
-Bill

ricks
11-01-2007, 04:50 PM
I am not much a fan of mirrored RAID. Its problem is its instantness. Any damage done the first drive is instantly copied to the mirror.

I think with what you are doing I would make a RAID0 out of drive 3 and 4. This will make one big volume. Then designate that as your Time Machine drive and let your computer back everything up to it. Not only do you have the copy of drive 1 on drive 2, but you also will have the Time Machine copy of it and all your internal drives. Good solid plan.

Rick

beyoyo
11-01-2007, 07:31 PM
I guess I am a bit paranoid after we lost a harddrive in our laptop... (Cost us $2400 to get it recovered)... So I went with the mirroring.

The Burly 4bay is actually connected to a Mac Mini running OSX Server 10.4.10. The G5 I was referencing is my main computer.

Would you recommend starting over with out the mirroring? It wouldn't be too hard to do because this is a new set up and not much is on it yet.
Since this machine is on 10.4 not 10.5 what would you recommend software wise to back the drives up?

Thanks
-Bill

unclemac
11-01-2007, 08:38 PM
Do the mirroing thing if up time is critical. Protects you from drive failure only.

If you can live with the machine being down for a half a day or so, as long as all the data is safe in a backup, then forget the RAID, and use the free drive for more backups. The more the better. Need it to be always on......go for the mirror on your live machine, so if a drive fails, you keep chugging along.

As Rick said, mirroring mirrors problems too. You delete the wrong stuff? Gone. Data get corrupted somehow? Gone. You click save instead of save as.... and don't notice you over-wrote the master for 2 days? Gone.

The more layers of backup, the better. Last week and last month is good start. Best would be to have some off line most of the time. Fireproof safe, different location, etc. What if the place is robbed or there is a fire? You get the idea.

beyoyo
11-01-2007, 09:33 PM
So what do you use to backup the files from drive 1 to 2 and 3? Retrospect? or is there a way to configure it so it happens automatically?

Thanks
-Bill

ricks
11-02-2007, 12:07 AM
I use SyncronizeProX from www.qdea.com. It can backup anything to anything on a schedule. There are other apps that work similarly: ChronoSync, DejaVu, SuperDuper and others. SyncronizeProX is pro level stuff and I have lots of experience with it. DOn't have any direct experience with the others to rate them against each other in any way.

Rick.

beyoyo
11-02-2007, 06:04 AM
Checked out SyncronizeProX and it looks pretty good. I will try it out.
Thanks for all the advice on this. I have a better understanding and a pretty good idea of how I am going to do this.

Thanks again.
-Bill

unclemac
11-02-2007, 08:57 AM
That should do you just fine. As Ricks said, lots of software out there for doing backups, so try before you buy (most have a demo of some sort). Probably not as feature rich, but SuperDuper is also very good and easy to use. It is very popular.

There is also a very good free tool: CarbonCopyCloner. The most recent version adds scheduled backups, and incremental (it was famous for being one of the first tools for making a "clone"....a full bootable backup). And it is 10.5 compatible.